The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fixing or welding a Stainless Keggle hole?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Barnesie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Fixing or welding a Stainless Keggle hole?

So I've gotten myself into a pinch and wound up getting scammed on a leaking keggle from a HBT member. Dude sold me a keggle with "little to no cosmetic damage" but ended up sending me a keg with a hole drilled in the bottom that has been badly patched. I paid $95 bucks ($65 + $30 shipping) and now the seller is claiming it was "damaged in shipping" or that I did something to make it leak. (Truth is that I did do something to make it leak...I filled it with water to see how bad of a job he did patching the hole)

In short, I'm out $95 and this guy is perfectly happy keeping my money. So much for homebrewers helping homebrewers.

I'm having trouble finding anyone that welds stainless in my area, so before I go dragging this thing around the countryside I wanted to get some advice from people with experience with stainless.

Here's two overhead shots from the inside of the keggle (these thumbnails should open a larger image):

Here's a couple of shots of the underside repair in detail:

The repair seems to be leaking in several places, but it's difficult to get a shot of the actual cracks in the weld. This picture shows two that can be clearly seen by the naked eye:

So for those of you that have more experience with these, what would you do? Assuming I can find someone skilled with stainless, how easy is this to fix and assuming I find someone that's "lesser skilled"...how much trouble am I getting myself into here?

Dreading how much more money I might need to sink into this thing and wondering if I should just sell it for scrap. Help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

This wouldn't be the same member from the other post that sold someone a bumb keg? Sounds familiar...

Old 06-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Barnesie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
This wouldn't be the same member from the other post that sold someone a bumb keg? Sounds familiar...
Not sure, I didn't see another post about a bum keg yet. I'll go hunting for it in the mean time.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
davis119
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Its hard to see the pic on my phone. But id drill it out and get a 1/2"npt brass plug and put that in and ring a nut for the inside or use a coupling. U may have to use some type of rtv silicone instead of an oring due to heat.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You could take your grinder or sander and dress it up on the inside. Then silver solder over it.
Check out the soldering stainless sticky.
Silver solder will seal in the nasty. Cheap and quick fix.
Apply the heat from the bottom and the solder should flow over it. Dress it with a sanding disk or by hand.

Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Barnesie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate456789 View Post
You could take your grinder or sander and dress it up on the inside. Then silver solder over it.
Check out the soldering stainless sticky.
Silver solder will seal in the nasty. Cheap and quick fix.
Apply the heat from the bottom and the solder should flow over it. Dress it with a sanding disk or by hand.
How would silver solder work out on the bottom of a kettle though? I don't know its melting temperature, but it's going to spend it's life over a direct flame which would make me nervous.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
nate456789
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnesie View Post
How would silver solder work out on the bottom of a kettle though? I don't know its melting temperature, but it's going to spend it's life over a direct flame which would make me nervous.
Read this this thread. It's long but it has everything you need to do it right.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sold...-steel-155782/

Several people do it here with their fittings. As long as you don't dry fire the the keggle you will not reach the melting point of the silver solder.
Make sure you use the liquid flux.
Kegged: Falconer's APA, Honey Brown Ale, Guinness Draught

Old 06-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Are you going electric?? If so then you should be fine!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
jfrizzell
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

HBT username of the scammer? Maybe the rest of us should avoid the loser as well.

Primary: Pliney the Elder Clone
Kegged: Tank 7 / Saison Brett

http://untappd.com/abbayeduchatnoir

Old 06-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Barnesie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell View Post
HBT username of the scammer? Maybe the rest of us should avoid the loser as well.
I'm kinda conflicted on that idea. I've been lurking on HBT for years actively reading but not posting. I just don't know if appropriate to blast a fellow member.

I think this guy completely and knowingly scammed me, but I've seen other people buy from him in the past and I don't know their experiences with him.

I rated him poorly on iTrader and I'd be perfectly comfortable telling people via PM who I wouldn't buy a keggle from.

Quick Reply