Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fixes for leaking wort chiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
fs2k2isfun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fixes for leaking wort chiller

I purchased the following wort chiller the other day:

http://www.homebrewstuff.com/immersi...-50-x-3-8.html

It uses plastic tubing with those clamps which screw down to make a seal. The problem is mine doesn't seal. I get leaks from both the input and output lines where it meets the copper. I've tried adjusting the position of the hose, force of the clamp, and position of the clamp with the same results.

Would putting some teflon tape on the copper tubing and clamping over that help? Any other suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

They all leak there, but usually simply tightening the hose claps are all it takes to stop them. Have you truly just turned the water on and then screwed the as tight as they can go until the leak stops?

Eventually they all work themselves loose over time and we have to do it while it's running, and usually all it takes is screwing the hell out of it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

teflon will not help. You have a poor connection between the tubing and the copper. Inspect the copper for any damage. If it's smooth, the vinyl tubing is in good shape, and they are the right size for the interface, you need a better clamp.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 10-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
drunknmonk
Recipes 

Try a zip tie in addition to the clamp. The clamps leak because they r not completely round.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1281 Times on 1032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmonk View Post
Try a zip tie in addition to the clamp. The clamps leak because they r not completely round.
It's true that worm clamps have a flat spot, but the compliance of the tubing will usually account for that.

The two things I'd be looking at is properly sized worm clamps and tubing. Using the smallest clamp that will fit the tubing diameter is one key, the other is to use food grade tubing with enough wall thickness and compliance to make the clamp flat spot a non-issue...

Cheers!

Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #6
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I've upgraded to a 40 plate CFC, but I had this same issue when I was using my IC. I ended up buying a tube flaring kit at Harborfreight (I think it was around $10-$15) and some flared fittings from Lowes. This solved the problem for me as I had no leaks even if I turned the hose on full blast.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
I've upgraded to a 40 plate CFC, but I had this same issue when I was using my IC. I ended up buying a tube flaring kit at Harborfreight (I think it was around $10-$15) and some flared fittings from Lowes. This solved the problem for me as I had no leaks even if I turned the hose on full blast.
P.S. Forgot to mention, I used the flare fittings to connect to barbed fittings, then attached the vinyl tubing to the barbs with hose clamps. The hoses fit much more securely on true barbed fittings than they do when they're just clamped onto the copper tubing.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #8
bad coffee

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

you can also go the ghetto cheap route and flare the tubing a bit. Stick a screwdriver in the end and GENTLY flare the tubing out a bit. Then put the hose on (close to the flare) and clamp it down. Should help quite a bit.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The easiest way is to install compression fittings that have garden hose thread.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/images...fht-38comp.gif

I HATE chillers with PVC tubing clamped to the copper. It's a hack design that needs tightening every use and eventually you have to cut an inch off the tubing and start over again.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
Changeduser123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When it happened to my chiller, I removed the tubing from both ends of the chiller, cut off half an inch from each tubing to remove the part damaged by the clamp. Then put it back with the original screw on clamp PLUS a oetiker clamp. So now I have two clamps on each end, and it has not leaked since. Oetiker clamps gives you a really good, even, seal.

Mathieu

Holiday 5 cu feet red keezer

Quick Reply