New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fixed my digital temp/timer probe!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Fixed my digital temp/timer probe!

Second time this has happened to me. Both times were when I made a starter and I had to stick the thermometer down the neck of the flask to get a temp and it went down too far. This time was terrible because I never noticed it until brew day and I mashed about 15° below where I thought I was

I read about using the oven to try and get the crud out but it never worked for me.

So I just came across an article that said to boil the probe in oil for 10 minutes. I tried it - just up to the curve with oil and when it started to smoke real bad I took it out. There was a decent amount of black junk that came out of it. And it worked!!! Within a degree of the calibrated thermo. Tried the ice bath and same result.

Saved me $20 so I thought maybe it could do the same for others.

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply