Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > First Sour/Bad Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
tgrier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Sour/Bad Batch

Well.. I guess it had to happen... maybe not..

But I switched to buckets because of a glass carboy explosion.

Anyway, I do not think it was the bucket. I think it was the when I came home from dinner after I pitched the yeast.. and the 3pc airlock got blocked and the top of both buckets lost the seal.. the pressure blew them both open. I dunno how long they sat open.. but I am guessing . 2-3 hours.

My point is .. I guess... that when people ask... "is my batch bad" ? Trust me you will know.. the smell .. man it is SOUR. And smell is still lingering in the house.
The sides of the bucket as the beer drained .. had a white film that was very gross indeed.

Oh well 5 hours and 10gals gone. It was a nice Pale too.

Not proud or embarrassed .. just sharing. Kinda of pissed cause this was going to be my beer for our july 4th trip to Port A.
Or well Live and learn.

T Grier
Austin Texas

My Brew Status Page -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
bobbrewster
Recipes 

How did the airlock get "blocked"? Why did the batch "sour"? I'm new to brewing. My first batch is almost done fermenting now. I opened her up for a hydro reading and it smells great! Just like Sierra Nevada! I'm worried because I don't want to contaminate my beer during the readings and have what happened to you happen to my precious gift from the gods =).

Last edited by bobbrewster; 06-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

looks like mold to me.

Quick Reply