Finished malt mill and hopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_Roqk

Reaction score
Ladies and Gents,

It's been quite a while since I last posted on my malt mill. Finished the hopper the other morining and decided to give it a try. I milled 3 lbs of 2 row in less than 10 seconds. I was excited and just had to use my 1/2" drill to power the little darling up. No problems to mention. But I did slow the drill down unintentionally (pouring with one hand and holding the drill with the other hand). I used a variable speed corded drill that has a max speed of about 800 rpm. I am going to modify the hopper to accept a motor and pulley system later. So far I'm pleased. As for the milled grain I'm not sure if I have the roller gap dialed in. Any feed back on the correct width of the gap would be appreciated. I put two credit cards together and used that as my gauge. Not sure if that is the correct width. Well here is some pics. Cheers to all! :mug:

7956-Copyofmm011.jpg

7956-mm012.jpg

7956-mm013.jpg

Here is some pics of the milled grain. To me it looks as though over 80% has been cracked with most of the husks left intact. ( hey that rhymes! :D ) Like I posted earlier not sure if the roller width gap is correct.
7956-mm009.jpg

7956-mm2001.jpg

Damn Squirrels said:
That's beautiful work!!!! :mug:
I'll second that. :)

FWIW, my malt mill (a fixed pitch JSP) is set to .045". I measured a credit card, to be .030", so yours seems to be set to .060".
I'm very happy with my crush, and I get good efficiency.

It's hard to judge, but your first picture tooks to be a little bit coarser than mine, so you may want to set the gap a bit smaller.

-a.

ajf said:
I'll second that. :)

FWIW, my malt mill (a fixed pitch JSP) is set to .045". I measured a credit card, to be .030", so yours seems to be set to .060"...

Thanks! I'll try that. Seems maybe one credit card and one business card might mic out to be around .045. I'll check it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back