Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Finding rigid foam in Nor Calif

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Stile
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Finding rigid foam in Nor Calif

Anybody have any luck in finding either the Blue or Pink ridgid foam boards for making the fermentation chiller in Northern Calif? I've found the white foam at both Home depot and Lowes, but no luck on the ridgid stuff. I did see a ridgid style that has a shiney silver paper coating on both sides. So if i can't find my first option, i may have to go with that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
NHRACER
Recipes 

If it is a rigid (stiff) foam insulation (board), then color does not matter, nor whether it has "shiny, silver" paper.

The most important value for insulation of any type, is the "R" value.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
Stile
Recipes 

I completely agree on the R value being the most important part but i'm just not too sure if the "shiney silver" surface will lend itself to being glued. The ridgid blue and pink foam has a porious surface... perfect for glue.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Extruded urethane clad with aluminum will work just fine. Just use a razor-blade to cut the foil where you want to glue the boards and peal it off. I wouldn't use the white styrene board, as it is fragile and sheds.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply