Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Filtering Beer - How fine a filter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 434 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Filtering Beer - How fine a filter?

Got a big cookout coming up and I'm going to be brewing like mad for the next few weeks so I can get five-seven batches kegged for it. I did the first one, a Kolsch yesterday out of Brewing Classic Styles. I also listened to Jamil's podcast on it for s&g's.

It has a short lagering period (only about 4 weeks) so I'm going to be fine in terms of fermentation but he mentioned that the WLP029 has horrible flocculation and while the beer will be great at 4-5 weeks of lagering, you either need to filter it or let it sit another month to get all of the yeast out, which will affect flavor.

Yeah I know... I can do gelatin and finings and all that... but a beer filter is nothing more than a simply catridge filter you can get at HD fo short money and I'm thinking it might not be a horrible thing to have laying around.

I'm curious if anyone knows how fine of a filter I should use though in order to filter a beer properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

5 microns is good 99% of the time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
RICHARJM
Recipes 

I second that I made a kolsch and right before i was about to carb it i passed it thru a 5 micron and it turned out great.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree, I use a 5 micron if I just want clear beer. Most of the time the only reason I filter is for taking a keg somewhere and a 5 micron makes it nice and clear and I don't notice much change in flavor.

The only time I use anything else is if I need to remove all of the yeast to backsweeten, and 1 micron seems to do the trick for that.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 434 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Sweeeeeeeet... Thanks for the quick answers!

5 micron it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Quick Reply