Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > The FerMonitor Lives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
jmansfield
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default The FerMonitor Lives

Hello again,
I have been working into the wee hours trying to duplicate my success with the real-time fermentation monitor that I have been perfecting in my "spare time" over the past 12 years (measures real-time SG, %alcohol, BRIX, temperature, pressure). I am having good success and have also found some better methods for building these, but I have not yet found a way to significantly reduce the cost of the unit. I have patent pending status on the invention now. I have some programmers working to create the program in .NET framework so it can be used by anyone with a PC (versus requiring MS Excel). I expect to have these ready for sale in the spring of 2009. Looks like the price will be ~ $500 for one and $850 for two. I realize this kind of price tag knocks out about 75% of the homebrewing community but I also don't want to cut any corners and distribute junk. I think the best way to begin to sell these and establish a good reputation is to attend homebrewer conventions and make contact - I will be doing that as much as I can afford. I appreciate the mega-interest that many of you showed and I welcome any further insight from the group!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds conceptually interesting, but I wouldn't be in the market for one myself.

My understanding is that if you are going to sell products on this forum, you should have a vendor subscription/membership.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Old 12-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
jmansfield
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Correct, but these are not yet available for sale. I am only following up on the promise that I would try to keep the community updated on progress and plans. Thanks for the reply,

Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

For those you don't remember, here is the earlier thread.

This looks awesome! I hope it works out for you.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #5
Yorbag
Recipes 

I have received the beta version and have been tinkering while I get my act together - I just received my new 6.5 gallon carboy from Midwest Supplies - I managed to break the one I've been using for years. This thing is awesome, love the software! I plan to brew later this month so the FerMonitor should be in action soon. I have 2 kits (IPA and a cream stout). I'm thinking cream stout would be fun. I'll post my results here!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
bricklayer38
Recipes 

Default Update on Fermonitor?

Hey jmansfield,
Any update on the fermonitor thing? $500 is a bit out of my range - do you think that is still the price range? I found the fermonitor.com website but there is almost nothing there - is this project still alive? I appreciate any info on this, thanks,

Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Yorbag
Recipes 

I have to defer to jmansfield on this one but I am fairly certain it is very much alive. I have one of the prototypes and it is very cool. I have used it several times in the past year and it is becoming a bit of a crutch for me. A friend of mine is a manager at a microbrewery and his owners want to install these on their fermenters and display on a plasma screen so customers can see what is going on. I think that would be cool but I figure most people would be pretty clueless. No idea on price but his webpage says they'll be selling in fall 2010.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #8
jmansfield
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have been meaning to add an update for several months now - thanks for the reminder. As you saw, I have created an LLC and I have a website! The probe has been complete for some time now with only a few lingering debates about preferred electrical connections and computer interface details. We spent alot of effort trying to get the cost down and I am happy to say we made major improvements - I expect the probes to be in the $100 range (providing analog output that is proportional to SG. The optional computer interface would add another ~$100. The interface can support up to 4 probes - something that is often requested.

I am working through all the legal and government hurdles now and I hope to be selling them this summer (definitely by the fall though). The website is pretty new but I already get lots of email from the support@fermonitor.com address - you can reach me there directly if you would like more info,

Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmansfield View Post
Looks like the price will be ~ $500 for one and $850 for two. I realize this kind of price tag knocks out about 75% of the homebrewing community....
Wow...1 in 4 of us would have interest in a $500 pc based fermonitor. Also just read a post regarding a $78 hydrometer...I think I better find a new job.

In all sincerity, best of luck with your product development, I guess I'm old school and habits die hard.

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Corona Mill Bucket System V. 2

Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Yorbag
Recipes 

Wilser - you must not have read the update, they now expect the Fermonitor probes are going to be about $100. Or about $200 total if you plan to use their computer interface. I agree, sounds kinda wacko when you compare it to an $8 glass hydrometer but when you consider all the perks I think you might decide you "need" one! This thing continuously monitors and trends the fermentation on your PC (showing SG, %ABV, %BRIX). You can save and catalog all of your fermentations for future reference and comparison. I recently used info from mine to stop a batch from drying out more than I wanted - cold crashed while the gravity was where I wanted it. I think when it comes to SG measurements we are all old school, but maybe that is about to change?

Quick Reply