The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenting in Sankes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #51
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
Wortmonger, I use a 3 micron filter made for beer, It can be back flushed and put in the pressure cooker and used again. After the trub drops, the lager wort goes through the filter and on into the fermenter.
Wow, I figured 3 micron would be way to fine for kettle wort. Nice to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
Where did you get it from? Part number?
Yep, I wanna know too. I have been reading lamarguy's filtering posts and have his information, but more is always appreciated. I'm hoping I can find a stainless steel pleated filter for a canister one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
Ok, you all have my interest! I have been hording Sanke's (10 or so) for year, getting ready to upgrade my system to 10g. Sounds like I have some catching up to do. Thanks for the info WortMonger.
Keep collecting and you will have a huge pipeline of beer, lol. Your welcome. I'm just glad so many people are using and talking about Sankes.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 PM   #52
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4576 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Well, I would like to give it a try with my setup before opining one way or the other on that, 3 Dog. Key for me will be proving that I can dump trub and yeast via racking cane and CO2 pressure. I have one of the Stout Tanks conicals and I do like it, but it is not the most space-efficient and it is probably ~4x the cost (compared to finding a keg on craigslist and buying the conversion kit).

If this works, then I agree with those who only ferment in Sankes and I might be looking to sell my conical, LOL!
So I have done a couple batches now with the kegs and can vouch for transferring under pressure. In fact, I used a corny pressurized to 60+ PSI as a "jumper" pressure vessel for transfer and everything held pressure perfectly, so the fermenter kit from brewer's hardware really did the trick.

Biggest complaints?

- Dry hopping is a PITA with tiny opening. Can't get mesh bags in/out very easily or avoid clogging the siphon
- sucking yeast/trub is nearly impossible. You can suck out a little cone of junk from around the base of the siphon tube, but it does not provide enough of a collection area to really be effective. My answer for this is to xfer to another keg for secondary and then you can wash out or collect the yeast/trub from that keg. Adds another step, yes, but you can do 4 kegs for the price of one of the stout tanks conicals, so I would argue it is worth it.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #53
WortMonger

Recipes 

I still don't see the "need" for anything other than a Sanke tap connector for this, for fermentation or just for transferring. As for dry hopping, I've been working on an idea for us keg-fermenters. Please contribute ideas so I can make it right first off!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #54
WPStrassburg
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
I'm hoping I can find a stainless steel pleated filter for a canister one day.
http://www.filterbag.com/SS-Pleated-Cartridge-26.html

I'm trying out a 100 micron one this weekend to filter out of the mash tun and boil kettle.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #55
WortMonger

Recipes 

Sweeeet! Please let me know how it works for you. PM or post here. I'm very very interested in polishing my lauter run-off and kettle wort. One of these would be perfect if the housing can handle near boiling temperatures. Anyone know how hot you van go in a clear housing?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #56
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Considering my options for dry hopping. I'm fermenting in a sanke with modified keg coupler and spund valve.

Options:

1) Dry hop in the serving cornies using something like THIS Bit expensive but this one should definitely hold an ounce or more of hops.

2) Remove the spear and drop hops into sanke. Then spray out later. I'm actually wondering if this isn't the better option. I have cut the spear about 3/4" so I'm hoping most of the hops will settle below it. I assume getting hop sludge out of sanke is really no harder than getting it out of a glass carboy. I imagine others have tried this, so I'd appreciate hearing how it worked out for you or if there are other options I am overlooking.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #57
grumpybrewer
Recipes 

I also use the brewershardware tri clamp. it works awesome. no problems at all.

Quick Reply