Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenting in Sankes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #21
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
I have and use the brewer's hardware sanke kit, it is great. However, I only put it on for transfers, while it is fermenting, i stick one of these...
Why not just leave it in place? My blowoff tube has a MFL fitting on it, so I remove it from the blowoff jug and attach the CO2 right to it. The out post of the sanke kit has a QD on it for attaching to the OUT post of the kegs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So I can use it to transfer from any of the kegs I have fermenting. Several kegs, one fancy gadget...

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #23
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 38

That makes sense... Doh!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #24
3 Dog Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Be sure to compare their offering with the Brewers hardware kit.
http://www.brewershardware.com/Ameri...hermowell.html

I'm using this and it is fantastic. No need for the racking arm setup or thermometer that Sabco offers. Just use a sanke keg with the spear removed and put the unit on the top with the tri-clamp. I really like the internal thermowell for monitor the fermentation temps.
This assumes that I have a Sanke laying around which is not the case. Unless you know of an affordable source for Sanke kegs...?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #25
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Brew View Post
This assumes that I have a Sanke laying around which is not the case. Unless you know of an affordable source for Sanke kegs...?
Call local distributors/breweries and ask if they have any decommissioned shells. Check metal salvage/scrap yards. Craigslist...

I got all mine from Craig, nice guy but his sales people can be real weirdos.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #26
3 Dog Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Be sure to compare their offering with the Brewers hardware kit.
http://www.brewershardware.com/Ameri...hermowell.html

I'm using this and it is fantastic. No need for the racking arm setup or thermometer that Sabco offers. Just use a sanke keg with the spear removed and put the unit on the top with the tri-clamp. I really like the internal thermowell for monitor the fermentation temps.
One more question about this setup. How do you clean the inside? I know that I have to use a brush to clean the inside of my glass carboys. I can't see getting a brush through the neck or being able to see the inside to know if it's clean. The Sabco has that 4" opening at the top and one of the main reasons I prefer it. However, I'd hate to drop 3x the price of the BH setup if I don't have to. I could have three BH fermenters (plus 3 kegs) for the price of the Sabco and several more for the price of the Blichmannn. I just want a better fermenter than a 6.5 gallon glass bottle. I'd like to brew 10 gallon batches and it needs to fit in my fermentation chamber. The chamber was built to fit a Blichmann 14 gallon conical.

3 Dog Brewery - "Sit, Stay. Good Beer!"
www.3dogbrew.com
3 Dog Blog 3DogBrew/Blogspot.com
Follow 3 Dog Brewery on Facebook

I am a Homebrewer on YouTube --- Motorized Mill Station --- Brew Tools III Free Download

Old 10-26-2010, 02:54 AM   #27
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Brew View Post
One more question about this setup. How do you clean the inside? I know that I have to use a brush to clean the inside of my glass carboys. I can't see getting a brush through the neck or being able to see the inside to know if it's clean. The Sabco has that 4" opening at the top and one of the main reasons I prefer it. However, I'd hate to drop 3x the price of the BH setup if I don't have to. I could have three BH fermenters (plus 3 kegs) for the price of the Sabco and several more for the price of the Blichmannn. I just want a better fermenter than a 6.5 gallon glass bottle. I'd like to brew 10 gallon batches and it needs to fit in my fermentation chamber. The chamber was built to fit a Blichmann 14 gallon conical.
I soak a 15.5 gallon sanke with ~8gallons of super hot tap water and 2 scoops of oxiclean. I install the spear and flip it upside down to allow it to clean all the dried on crap first while the water is at maximum temp. I flip it after about 30 minutes and will let it sit until the next evening or morning. At that point I remove the spear and rinse very well. I can inspect the insides with a mechanics mirror and an extension cord with a light on the end but this is generally not needed at all. It reads like a lot of work but is really quite easy and no scrubbing involved.

Using a 15.5 gallon sanke I can ferment 5 gallon batches all the way up to ~12 gallons if I wish. I can use super hot water (try that with a carboy or better bottle). Best of all when the fermentation is done I simply hook up the tap and push it with CO2 to my keg to reduce oxidation chances. Plus let's admit, a SS keg looks 10 times cooler than a fermentation bucket....

Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #28
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I clean mine with Oxy free and hot water..shake, let soak for few days. Then shake dump,shake while dumping. rinse with water. done. Before next use I rinse,boil 2 gals hard with Alum foil on top. Dump,let cool and fill.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:58 AM   #29
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

Ditto as Skut Monkey!!! Only sometimes I just use cold water and let it sit a day or two before flipping and resting another day or two. I no longer have to look in the keg with a mirror or anything, as I know it is clean. Oh, and Skut... I just fermented 15.25 gallons in my Sanke under pressure with nothing coming out the spunding valve but nose burning CO2. God I love Sankes!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #30
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Ditto as Skut Monkey!!! Only sometimes I just use cold water and let it sit a day or two before flipping and resting another day or two. I no longer have to look in the keg with a mirror or anything, as I know it is clean. Oh, and Skut... I just fermented 15.25 gallons in my Sanke under pressure with nothing coming out the spunding valve but nose burning CO2. God I love Sankes!!!
Do you mean you use a cold water/oxiclean mixture or just plain cold water? Looking in the keg is more for reassurance for me. They always look clean but I like to look at the shiny stainless. It makes me happy.

Quick Reply