Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenting in a sanke keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2007, 02:07 AM   #1
mward
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting in a sanke keg

Yeah yeah everyone says they're hard to clean. I built a long rod that goes down in there with some holes drilled in the end that attaches to a hose to clean it well. Filled it with 15 gallons of PBW, sanitized it with star-san. I pulled the spear from the bung and put the bung back in and #7 stopper fits perfectly. We'll see how it goes. I've got 11 gallons of ordinary bitter fermenting in it right now. I've got a light on a string I can dangle inside the fermenter after this and a dental mirror to see if I miss any mung when I clean it. Considering you absolutely can't scrub the inside of a better bottle to get the mung off I don't figure I'm in any worse shape with a keg except that it's harder to see where I have to clean. Anyone else ever done this? Sorry for the stream of consciousness post.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

A few people have converted them to ferementers using various methods.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
67coupe390

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That seems like a great idea. I will consider doing that too. But not to brag for now I'm going to use my new ferminator when it comes!!!!!! Damn, that sounds like bragging doesn't it.

Coupe 390

Old 07-09-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well... yeah its hard to clean but not unlike a glass carboy. I think the biggest drawback is the fact that you cannot actually see what you are cleaning, or not cleaning. Ya know... with glass you can see if you got all the gunk.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #5
mward
Recipes 

With a dental mirror you can see enough, I imagine, to make sure it's clean. I'm going to try it for a few batches and see how it goes. So far so good.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have been reading some articles on the net and I am very curious as to if you guys think a 12 gallon batch would be safe with a regular sanke keg and tap setup. I am kinda debating myself about a completely closed system that would purge the secondary keg with primary fermentation CO2. I am thinking that even if a little krausen ended up in the secondary that would be ok, and then tranfer would be completely clean from any O2 or open to room air. I am basing this on 3/4" being cutoff of the primary sanke dip tube of course. I just wonder about the amount of head space in the primary keg and the room around the gas part of the tap and keg. Anyone have any insight?

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #7
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Fill it up with water, boil it, dump it out, soak it overnight with pbw/dishwasher detergent/ oxi-clean/whatever/etc... and boil it. Remember These can go on a burner unlike a glass carboy. there are more options here than people think. It's just like a glass carboy EXCEPT you can't break it with fire(ok, i'm sure i could find a way but with a banjo burner you are fine). If you drop it it's ok too for the most part. Might bend a bit and your floor is screwd but for the most part it'll be fine!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 09-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #8
WortMonger

Recipes 

What I am talking about is not cleaning them, but using them during fermentation. I am cautious, but curious about basically filling the keg/primary with fresh wort and then resealing it like you would a serving keg. I am interested in the amount of high krausen for a 12 gallon batch in the 15.5 gallon container and if it would clog up the gas part of the keg and the tap. I would use modified sanke taps for this blow off purpose if it would work. I really don't want to use krausen killing agents so I would be very happy with some incite. I have other plans about a pseudo Burton-union device that would allow me to only put gas in my secondary from the primary fermentation.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
WortMonger

Recipes 

Well, I decided to try the keg out but with out the Burton-Union device. I simply put the gas check valve in the other way on the sanke tap and closed off the beer side of the tap completely. I am monitoring the keg frequently and at the first signs of blow off coming through the gas valve on the tap I will pull it and pull the stem. I am hoping high krausen will be just under the top of the keg at it's greatest and won't interfere at all. Next time I will purge my secondary with the free CO2 from primary if this works. I will keep you guys informed. I brewed my first decoction (only liquid wort for mash out) yesterday and it will be well watched. It is already the clearest wort and clearest post-boiled wort I have ever seen. Anyways that is another thread.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

I picked up a keg on craigslist for $10 this week. I'm seriously thinking of using it to ferment 10 gal batches. I'm guessing boiling water/oxyclean for a while will clean it pretty good. If I'm not satisfied, then I'll cut the top out and use some plexiglass and a gasket.

Quick Reply