Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenting in Keezer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
BetterSense
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Fermenting in Keezer

I have to have temp control in the summer, so I've been fermenting in my keezer at normal ale temps, meaning that my kegs serve pretty warm. This isn't the end of the world, but it would be nice to have my fermentation AND cold kegs.

I'm thinking about getting some reptile heat tape for my carboy and another temp controller, then just stick it in my keezer at normal keezer temps. Anyone do this? Does your freezer cycle a ton more?

Does anyone run standard keezer temps and warm their fermenter with a brew belt or reptile heater? I understand that if I do this it means I'm paying to heat up my keezer and then paying to cool it back down, but if I insulate my fermenter with some reflectix wrap or something, it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Pie_Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've not tried this, but my guess is it should work. In order to avoid excessive cycling on the keezer, I would use a ferm wrap heater like this, http://morebeer.com/view_product/166...ermWrap_Heater, and I would place the temperature probe away from the fermenting carboy. It might also be beneficial to have the carboy on the freezer's hump that way it's elevated from the kegs. I would think that setup would be effective and minimize the amount of extra cycling.

I second temperature controlled fridge/freezer works good too

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply