Fermenting in a corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd definately be experimenting with Fermcap for this. It's an anti-foam agent that lots of people swear by for eliminating much of the huge krausen and alleviating the need for a blowoff tube (I'd still hook one up).

Well, there's still a bit of headspace even full of 5 gallons so couple that with good temp control and you'll probably be ok. Of course, those are the usual famous last words just prior to krausen stalactites on the ceiling.

If you measure it out, 5 gallon Corney's hold about 6.5 gallons from the floor up. I did a 5 gallong batch of my Belgian Triple with no problems. Jus hook up a blow off tube and you are good to go. The next time I am going to get some Fermcap just to ensure the headspace.

the_bird said:
I'd definately be experimenting with Fermcap for this. It's an anti-foam agent that lots of people swear by for eliminating much of the huge krausen and alleviating the need for a blowoff tube (I'd still hook one up).

I hear ya, but I am thinking of going hard core Reinheitsgebot on this one. No Irish Moss, no priming sugar (plan to prime with gyle)... so the fermcap would make it all for not.

Good suggestion though.

Nwcw2001 said:
If you measure it out, 5 gallon Corney's hold about 6.5 gallons from the floor up.

Curious...

5 Imperial Gallons = ~24L
6.5 American Gallons = ~24.05L

Coincidence? I think not...

Nwcw2001 said:
If you measure it out, 5 gallon Corney's hold about 6.5 gallons from the floor up. I did a 5 gallong batch of my Belgian Triple with no problems. Jus hook up a blow off tube and you are good to go. The next time I am going to get some Fermcap just to ensure the headspace.

Really? When I'm filling my keg, it sure doesn't look like there's another 1.5 gallons of space in there.

the_bird said:
Really? When I'm filling my keg, it sure doesn't look like there's another 1.5 gallons of space in there.

Yeah When I ran out of carboys and was looking to ferment in a corney, I measured it out 2 quarts at a time. (cuz that was the largest measuring device I have!) And it came out to roughly 6.5 gallons all the way full to the rim no more can fit.

no way theres 6.5 in my corney. just measured it out. almost exactly 5 right to the top. sucks cause i wanted to ferment my 5G batches in these but still not convinced its possible.

Latest posts

Back