Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenting in cooler temperatures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
tonymaud
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenting in cooler temperatures

Now that it's heating season here in New England the house is usually cooler( especially with the price of fuel these days) So, I was wondering what you all do to ferment ales in these cooler temperatures. How do you keep your fermenters and bottles warm enough? My house is usually around 64 or 65.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

This is what I do.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/nort...ewing+aquarium

I have also been trying a heating pad inside my fermentation chamber that is normally used for cooling. So far so good as long as the basement does not drop too far.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 10-31-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
mnadamn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you shoulf be fine at that temp... Once fermentation starts, it is exothermic, the fermentation will create heat and be a couple degrees warmer then your room. Another thing you can do is place your fermenter closer to a heating vent where the tem will be higher or look for devices that you use that produce heat. Last winter I turned of the heat in my bedroom the temp was 55-65 depending on the time of the day. I have a tower pc case that I positioned so that I can have my carboy behind it. the heat coming off of the power supply was enough to maintain fermentation temps. This year I am thinking about building an insulation box like the son of fermentation chiller but will be placing a pid controller in it that will power a lightbulb which will maintain temps where I want. I hope this helps, Happy Brewing!

Old 10-31-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My basement is 64-65 all winter and it works out well for fermentation. As long as you're not doing a Saison or using a yeast strain that would require temperature ramping you'll be fine with common ale yeasts at 64F.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaud View Post
How do you keep your fermenters and bottles warm enough? My house is usually around 64 or 65.

64-65 sounds great for ales, IMO.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
weetodd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed. I've had no trouble at this temperature. Often you can pitch a little higher say in the low 70s and I wrap my carboy up in a sleeping bag. Helps to hold some of the temps up a bit, but I don't think there's any worry at 65

Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

What if, that leaves a big opening of questions;
you built a cabinet for your carboys out of plywood cheap and quick then insulated the inside with foam board, added a electrical switch gear moisture strip heater controlled by a thermostat? They are app 1 1/4" wide x 3/8" thick x 6-9" long solid tin wrapped with tin stand off legs app 1/2" off the electrical gear cabnet frames down low or to the side. They come in different wattages I have rarely seen 50 watt they go 75, 100, 150 watt and even higher. Yes they will burn your hand but not a red hot glowing item more like app 240* F max. In these electrical cabinets and switch gear most are on full time without thermostat control. It would take days to dig out where my collection of them are just to get the exact wattage and size of these strip heaters.

Another option look into the quartz heating elements they use for exotic snakes and lizards people have in their pet cages, they are thermostatically controlled. Just a few ideas hope this helps for those that live in the colder parts of the country.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 AM   #8
Marshal6
Recipes 

I get a large rubbermade container from target put about four inches of water in it, then put aquarium heater in and throw in an aquarium power head to keep the water moving around. Works great cost about 50 bucks.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:06 AM   #9
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Although 65F is perfect for most if not all Ales you could use different strains like East Coast Ale, Irish Ale, European Ale, Sf Lager, German Ale, Kolsch, that do well down below 60F. Make some Cali Commons, Kolsch, German Ales, Stouts, etc; This is my favorite time of year to brew just for the reason my ambient temps are 66F....As long as you use a good sized starter you shouldn't have any problems fermenting any Ale strains down to 60F or so, just give them more time.

Up next: The Bestist Bitter
Bottled: Blackout IPA

"Ooo Pretzels and Bier!"-Heidi Klum

Old 11-02-2008, 04:05 AM   #10
brewpal
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

+1 for the aquarium heater water bath. An air stone keeps the water moving.

Quick Reply