Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenting bucket w/ or w/o airlock?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
63belair
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Interesting stuff, I've always brewed with lid snapped and an airlock. I knew people brewed in trash cans with bags back in the day, and that the 'wine' buckets don't have holes and grommets but never put the 2 together for beer.

Cool!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63belair View Post
Interesting stuff, I've always brewed with lid snapped and an airlock. I knew people brewed in trash cans with bags back in the day, and that the 'wine' buckets don't have holes and grommets but never put the 2 together for beer.

Cool!
Fermentation is fermentation, it doesn't matter if it's beer, or wine or mead or cider or prison hooch, it's Yeast and sugar becoming alcohol, there's no differences.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

BigTuna Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #23
BigTuna
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Fermentation is fermentation, it doesn't matter if it's beer, or wine or mead or cider or prison hooch, it's Yeast and sugar becoming alcohol, there's no differences.
Very well Put. If I could talk to yeast I would say... Thank you!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #24
63belair

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy

Absolutely, I love it when a connection between two seemingly separate pieces of information appears! Its so obvious I'm almost ashamed to admit I never made the connection haha!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #25
zilch
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Just to clarify, are we talking about 1st few days/week for open/loose lid during high krausen, or do some leave their beer open for the entire time (3 weeks or whatever time is needed for the brew)? It sounded like some previous posters did.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #26
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch View Post
Just to clarify, are we talking about 1st few days/week for open/loose lid during high krausen, or do some leave their beer open for the entire time (3 weeks or whatever time is needed for the brew)? It sounded like some previous posters did.
Some people do open fermentation. What grows in the wort grows. That includes things like acetobacter or lactobacillus. Not my cup of tea, but to each there own.

To be frank, it just didn't occur to me that you just wouldn't snap the lid tight. It makes sense, but I've been using airlocks since day 1 so the option hadn't presented it's self.

As far as open fermentation goes, I will say I don't go to the lengths that lots of people do to sanitize. Everything I use is washed and rinsed in straight hot water before I use it, but I don't use a commercial sanitizer. I've not have an infected batch in 20+ batches.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #27
blacksquid
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Actually the primary bucket I got in my first kit (aaaahhhh if I knew how much gear I'd have amassed only 9 months later... ) had a reallllly neat feature: a kind of airlock lid. It's a semi-clear PP bucket with a lid very similar to paint buckets but when the bucket fills with co2, it expands out and co2 can escape.

I think it's made by Logan or something - maybe that's what you have.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is NOT open fermentation, it's fermentation with a loose lid on it, with co2 coming out where the lid, or plexiglass, or cafeteria tray or plastic wrap meets the lip of the fermenter, and ONLY co2 is escaping, and nothing is getting it, there IS a difference.

THIS, is open fermentation;

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #29
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah. The lid is on at all times. I wanna try open fermentation, some day, but not until I know what I'm doing a bit more :/

Quick Reply