The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenters - What are you using

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
OMJ
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeer View Post
How are the Kegs configured? Do you have any pictures?
I dont have pictures but I just remove the diptube from a sankey and put a #10.5 stopper in there

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Ragutis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
I dont have pictures but I just remove the diptube from a sankey and put a #10.5 stopper in there
I don't have photos either, but I do the same thing. A #10 stopper works too but it drops down further.
After I rack the beer out of a keg I rinse it thoroughly and then fill it up with water and boil. Then another rinse and fill with sanitizer. Works great.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewJeff View Post
Could you explain or provide a picture of "...seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string...". Whats the bag and string for?

Sure, sorry no pic, but I'll try. All I do is place the lid on the kettle, cut the bottom third off a large plastic bag, place bag over fermenter top so it extends a few inches down the sides. Take a long piece of string and wrap it several times around the top of the kettle to seal the bag against the side of the kettle. This becomes somewhat airtight and will puff up w/ CO2 during fermention. After 7 -10 days the bag will lose pressure and I go to a keg shortly thereafter. Sort of like the balloon trick on a larger scale.

My biggest fear of doing this is not airborne contaminants, but fruit flies. I don't have them, but if I did, I might reconsider, they can be pesky, and breach almost all except for the best seals. (airlock time)

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 07-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #14
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post

Same here use both 1/2 barrels and 1/4 barrels . I set up a transfer with the spear hooked up to a regular sanke tap . Works great and beer never see's oxygen thanks to Wortmonger for walking me through the process. I also have the 15 gallon barrel like Edworts for when the 3 kegs are in use .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 07-03-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #15
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
I'm lazy, I've been fermenting in my kettle. Chill and pitch, ferment 10 - 12 days and keg. I do seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string. Don't laugh too hard till you try it.
Bayou Classic 44 quart stainless.
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1044, 44-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer with Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Wilserbrewer: How to you aerate after chilling ?

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 07-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappclark View Post
Wilserbrewer: How to you aerate after chilling ?
Depends, if pitching dry, sometimes I don't bother, as I feel there is adequate cell count to complete the job w/out the yeast reproducing. Yea, call me crazy again,but I feel if you pitch enough dry yeast, you don't need to airate the wort.

If repitching a slurry. I will try and use a good amount, I will also sanitze a two quart pitcher. Dip pitcher in the kettle to fill it, briskly pour it back into the kettle from say a foot above the wort. Repeat this for a few minutes and the wort is all frothed up. Simple, but very easy and effective.

Most of the beer I make is of moderate gravity and is consumed fairly fresh. If i were making something to "lay away", I'm not sure I would be quite so carefree.

and the product, 1/4 keg (7.75 gal) batch, 11 gal. kettle.

house ale at high kreusen

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Last edited by wilserbrewer; 07-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #17
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My grandparents fermented in clay crocks with a wax coated cloth cover over the tops. The cloth was dipped in hot wax on the wood burning stove before each covering. They filled old porcelain capped wire locked bottles brought over from Germany in 1924, they brewed until the late 50's this way and I can still remember this. Dad never recalled a bad batch just some bottles blowing off excess pressure with a couple bottles breaking. The bottles are full of waves as well bubbles in the blowing process of many years ago. I have some history brewing equipment in storage besides a very old Bier Stein rack from a old German Bier Hall that the locals hung their Stein's on. What is cool is in the center a painting of two old Germans having a bier together and the painting is still in great condition. There are six wooden dog bones of wood to hang your Stein's on as well a couple of small shelves.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 07-05-2009 at 02:10 AM.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #18
MSUConrad
Recipes 

I use 15 gallon kegs to ferment my 10 gallon batches. I just remove the spear, make sure they are clean, and put the beer in. I use the orange carboy caps from Northern Brewer to fit over the top, and stick an air lock on it.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I need something that better uses the space in my chest freezer. I can fit two carboys, a bucket and three one gallon jugs in there. My 60 qt pot would easily fit but I'd need help getting it in and out with 13 gallons in it. Four cornys and a carboy may work out best.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #20
brewpal
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Tools to inspect inside after cleaning with an oxyclean soak:

Quick Reply