Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Equipment/Sanitation (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/)
-   -   Fermenters - What are you using (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/fermenters-what-you-using-126530/)

BillyBeer 07-02-2009 09:44 PM

Fermenters - What are you using
 
I am thinking of some different foodgrade plastic containers to use as fermentors and I made me wonder what everyone else is using besides the standard Carboy's and Ale Pales.

Here is a link to what I am looking at:

Open Head Drums - US Plastic Corporation

I can get a couple of these from work for free. :rockin:

Happy 4th!

Ragutis 07-02-2009 09:59 PM

I use three sanke kegs for fermenting my 10-12 gallon batches. I use a standard 5 gal glass carboy for apfelwein and small batches. I also have a 7.75 gallon keg for smaller batches.
The kegs work great. I want some more.

OMJ 07-02-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 1412777)
I use three sanke kegs for fermenting my 10-12 gallon batches. I use a standard 5 gal glass carboy for apfelwein and small batches. I also have a 7.75 gallon keg for smaller batches.
The kegs work great. I want some more.

I use a kegs too but I need to get a couple more.

BillyBeer 07-02-2009 11:29 PM

How are the Kegs configured? Do you have any pictures?

Droot 07-02-2009 11:48 PM

I use a 1/2 keg with the top cut off and a ball valve in the bottom. I just place a large pan lid over the top, so its open ferment. Never had a problem. I do rack as soon as ferment is complete. No leaving it for weeks.

<~~~~ this is boil kettle, fermenter looks the same.

Switching to a 7 gal conical this weekend. First time out of the box. Still going to brew 10 gal batches, but am trying the no chill thing for the other 5 gals.

David :)

EdWort 07-03-2009 01:08 AM

I use the ale pales, but I also use this 15 gallon malt extract barrel.

http://www.krach.org/Homebrew/10GallonFermenter.jpg

wilserbrewer 07-03-2009 03:19 AM

I'm lazy, I've been fermenting in my kettle. Chill and pitch, ferment 10 - 12 days and keg. I do seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string. Don't laugh too hard till you try it.
Bayou Classic 44 quart stainless.
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1044, 44-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer with Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Irie5447 07-03-2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilserbrewer (Post 1413220)
I'm lazy, I've been fermenting in my kettle. Chill and pitch, ferment 10 - 12 days and keg. I do seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string. Don't laugh too hard till you try it.
Bayou Classic 44 quart stainless.
Amazon.com: Bayou Classic 1044, 44-Qt. Stainless Fryer/Steamer with Vented Lid: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Wow. all that work to not properly ferment? It won't take that much longer to transfer to proper fermentor...

wilserbrewer 07-03-2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irie5447 (Post 1413256)
Wow. all that work to not properly ferment? It won't take that much longer to transfer to proper fermentor...

And what's not proper about a stainless vessel?? Also no risk of infection during transfer, as there is none. During active fermentation I believe your beer doesn't need to sealed away like a lab experiment...the Co2 provides postive pressure to keep the unwanted "stuff" out. When fermentation is complete, the beer gets racked to a keg and purged w/ Co2. I don't muck around, and practice sound sanitaion w/ star san at every turn.

I believe Jamille Z. has done it this way and reported positive results...I just do what works for me and thought I would share.

HomebrewJeff 07-03-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilserbrewer (Post 1413277)
And what's not proper about a stainless vessel?? Also no risk of infection during transfer, as there is none. During active fermentation I believe your beer doesn't need to sealed away like a lab experiment...the Co2 provides postive pressure to keep the unwanted "stuff" out. When fermentation is complete, the beer gets racked to a keg and purged w/ Co2. I don't muck around, and practice sound sanitaion w/ star san at every turn.

+1, many people dump the entire contents into the fermenter, so if you are ok with keeping the trub, it's just eliminating one step. I agree the fermenter just didn't to be "tightly" sealed, I'm just using tinfoil as it is.

Could you explain or provide a picture of "...seal it up well w/ the lid, a plastic bag and a string...". Whats the bag and string for?


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.