The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > fermenter thru the dishwasher after infection ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
cadarnell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default fermenter thru the dishwasher after infection ??

I just had a white bubble infection in my plastic bucket fermenter and I was trying to think of the best way to save the bucket and to be sure I had it nice and sanitary before I used it again. I took out the top rack of my dishwasher so the bucket and lid would fit in there and I am running it right now on the sani mode. Will this work? ... has anyone done this before? Should I just give up on the bucket? .. thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Get a new one. The plastic buckets are fine and dandy fermentors, but you've got to replace them periodically. There's just no way reliable way to make sure you've got them clean, especially after an infection.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1921

I would do one of two things:

1) bleach bomb the bucket - die you bastards! - then rinse really well and sanitize well again (using either iodophor or star san) before you use the bucket again, or

2) replace the bucket

Running it through the dishwasher won't hurt it, but I would bleach bomb it anyway.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
cadarnell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I would do one of two things:

1) bleach bomb the bucket - die you bastards! - then rinse really well and sanitize well again (using either iodophor or star san) before you use the bucket again, or

2) replace the bucket

Running it through the dishwasher won't hurt it, but I would bleach bomb it anyway.
yea .. i was thinking about bleach .. if it was a 14 dollar bucket I wouldnt even be messin with it ... but I paid 27 bucks for it ... it's a 7.9 gallon, really nice bucket .. maybe after i have run it thru the DW a couple times and bleached it .. and hell, maybe even one more run thru the DW, I'll try a pretty cheap recipe .. I'm on the fence I guess .. thanks for the thoughts

Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
but I paid 27 bucks for it
Keep in mind if your next brew with it goes down the drain, you will be throwing a lot more away.

Just saying.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It may be a $27 bucket, but it's just a bucket. I'd get a better bottle or carboy.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
cadarnell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendavanza View Post
It may be a $27 bucket, but it's just a bucket. I'd get a better bottle or carboy.
I dont think I'll ever use glass because I am so clumsy .. haha ... i do have a 6 gallon better bottle, but i really just prefer the buckets. They are just easier IMO .. I'll probably toss the bucket .. sounds like that is what most on here would do. thanks

Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I dont see any need to toss the bucket. I would soak it in oxyclean for a night, then bleach the hell out of it, rinse and store for your next bach

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
cadarnell
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germelli1 View Post
I dont see any need to toss the bucket. I would soak it in oxyclean for a night, then bleach the hell out of it, rinse and store for your next bach
well if i do pull the trigger on using it again .. i can guarantee you it will be the best sanitizing job I've ever done on a fermenter .. I dont think anything could even survive the dishwasher, but so many are saying toss it ... can something really survive that .. and some bleach??? ... can the plastic somehow be penetrated by the nasties???

Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadarnell View Post
well if i do pull the trigger on using it again .. i can guarantee you it will be the best sanitizing job I've ever done on a fermenter .. I dont think anything could even survive the dishwasher, but so many are saying toss it ... can something really survive that .. and some bleach??? ... can the plastic somehow be penetrated by the nasties???
I'll tell you I hear people talking about scratches in plastinc causing infections...I have used the same buckets for a year now, and many of them came from someone leaving the hobby, so who know how old they were.

Yeas I have had infections before, but never on consecutive batches before and I have used the same buckets that help infected beers over and over again.

I feel an oxyclean soak will penetrate any scratches to remove any "clingers", and a heavy bleach solution will make the bucket so toxic it will be like a nuke going off on a microscopic level

I am not saying there is now merit in the scratched plastic thing, but it has never been an issue for me!

PS: To actually answer your question on the dishwasher...I am with you, why not just do it if it fits? I would be a little worried about the heat on the plastic, but for what it is worth, I have poured near boiling wort in mine before

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Quick Reply