Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation vessel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #11
dougjones31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Doug,
I guess my question would be, what exactly about a frig would stop the temp from getting down to 33? If you do not override the internal temp controller, I would agree that you'll only get down to the lowest setting on the frig. But once you bypass that, the compressor would run forever (in theory) taking more and more heat out. Then you put your own controller on it to reign control.

I realize with a freezer, you don't need to remove the factory controller because it's always trying to reach a colder temp than you need, but I wouldn't discount a frig when it's cheap or free.
They coil and condenser are under sized to do the cooling job well enough to drop the freezer and fridge below freezing. It will freeze the freezer but not the fridge. The coil is encased and the cold air is only allowed to go to the fridge when the fan forces it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
buckeyemike75
Recipes 

yes, it is an unplugged fridge, I have been checking with a cooper's thermometer and it fluctuates between 60 and 66 degrees in the fridge......I live in Oakland, California and it gets pretty cold at night. My garage is not enclosed but basically it is like a lean-to so it is open to the outside temps.....I figured the fridge was basically a large cooler with a little insulation around it.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I guess the question is, is this a working fridge? Why use it as an insulated box when it was designed to keep a relatively stable (and adjustable) temp when plugged in?

I still think the fridge part (if the compressor is still working) can work for both lager ferment (53dF) and lagering (33dF) because most stock thermo temps already keep it in the 35-40dF for food storage. Even if you can't get it all the down to 33, I'm sure the 30's are good enough and you won't have to jockey ice containers in and out for two months.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #14
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I were to buy a brand new chest freezer and set it on the lowest (meaning, highest temp) setting, is this still too dangerous for lagering? I have my winter warmer that I've been icing down manually, and I'm thinking of just buying this $145 chest freezer at Sam's Club. I already have one, that I use for food, so I know it works well. But without risking thawing out all my food, there's no way to really know the temp in there at the lowest setting. Anyone have any idea?

Next time I need stuff from an online HBS, I'll include a temp controller in my order---but until then, would you recommend that I lager without it?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-25-2006, 03:24 PM   #15
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

No. Putting your beer in a freezer to lager will not work.....it will freeze the beer. Don't try to lager in it until you get a temp controller.

Mike....don't try to lager un an unplugged fridge. Ice will melt to fast to keep up with.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:30 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjones31
No. Putting your beer in a freezer to lager will not work.....it will freeze the beer. Don't try to lager in it until you get a temp controller.
Yeah, I figured.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #17
buckeyemike75
Recipes 

thanks for the advise dougjones............after reading this thread I wont try a lager just yet.....I will probably buy a temp controller and then plug the fridge in and then try a lager......thanks to everyone for chiming in.

Quick Reply