*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation vessel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
buckeyemike75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation vessel

I have found the perfect Fermentation chest.....I have an old refridgerator in the garage and it constantly keeps the temperature at 60 degrees......I am wondering If I add enough ice I can get the temp down to around 35 to 40 and then try a lager. I think I would have to keep constantly adding ice though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where do you live and what are the temps there? Is your garage insulated?

I also would check the temp with a reliable thermometer. It does not seem like it could only be keeping the temp @60 degrees this time of the year. it should atleast be 50 degrees. If it still running well but just not getting cold, I would add some freon to it and it should start cooling better. It would be worth trying. I have a 30 year old fridge in my garage that is still working fine. But I do get a buddy to add freon to it every few years.

You will not be able to easily keep enough ice in it to lager in unless you can get it to cool down to 45-50 degrees. Unless it is real cold where the fridge is., but if that was the case it would get colder than 60 degrees.

Oh...the most important thing....make sure the fridge temp is turned down as far as it will go. I saw a guy sell a fridge for nothing because it would not get cold enough. The buyer just turn the setting to max cold and it maintained 38 degrees.

Last edited by dougjones31; 10-23-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Or you can bypass the internal thermostadt and wire in a temp controller. They can be found on Ebay for $20-40ish but just make sure they're close on rise with a temperature range for what you want to do. IOW, if you want to lager at 33dF, make sure it will go that low. If you want to use it for ale fermenting in the summer, make sure it will go as high as 70dF.

I have a lager fermenting in mine at 53dF.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:30 PM   #4
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most fridges will not get down to 33 degrees......they are not freezers and there is no need for a fridge to get that cold.

If you want the perfect fermentation chest then get a chest freezer and a thermostate controller do you can set it at any temp from 0-100.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 993 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Doug,
I guess my question would be, what exactly about a frig would stop the temp from getting down to 33? If you do not override the internal temp controller, I would agree that you'll only get down to the lowest setting on the frig. But once you bypass that, the compressor would run forever (in theory) taking more and more heat out. Then you put your own controller on it to reign control.

I realize with a freezer, you don't need to remove the factory controller because it's always trying to reach a colder temp than you need, but I wouldn't discount a frig when it's cheap or free.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike75
I have found the perfect Fermentation chest.....I have an old refridgerator in the garage and it constantly keeps the temperature at 60 degrees......I am wondering If I add enough ice I can get the temp down to around 35 to 40 and then try a lager. I think I would have to keep constantly adding ice though.
What I would do is set the fridge at the lowest you can get it at to cool it down, put your stuff in there then add the ice. You will have to change it probably every day or 2 but shold be just fine.

Basicly you'll be using it like it was an old ice box or a giant cooler. I can get my spare fridge down to about 34degrees . . . my sodas will freeze when I open them with the rapid decompression of the can as it opens . . . so I dont think you'll have much of a hard time doing what you're looking at doing

Old 10-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure about this, but it seems like, once you put the airlock on, the typical 6.5-gal carboy would be too tall to fit into your standard chest freezer. Thoughts?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
I'm not sure about this, but it seems like, once you put the airlock on, the typical 6.5-gal carboy would be too tall to fit into your standard chest freezer. Thoughts?
they fit fine. the depth is no problem at all.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, they fit - it's getting them in and out of the freezer that's the PITA.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #10
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think that Mikes OP was relating to an un-plugged fridge staying at 60. Mine stayed at 70 for the last 4 weeks while I primaried + secondaried a batch. I figured it was better than the 58 to 84 swings in the weather. Slight additional cooling would easily bring it down, but I don't see why not to try the built in thermo, set at it's warmest? The little apartment sized fridge I use went down to 25, empty, when I tested it. I may use my sawed of Mr Coffee and a water bed thermostat for heat this winter. It takes an upright 6.5 carboy, and I can syhon right out of it into secondary or bottling bucket. But it's up on a step.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Quick Reply