*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation temp control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 AM   #11
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The water gives you more thermal mass so it actually keeps the temp steadier for your beer. If you keep to a regular schedule with the water bottles, you don't get much variation.

I don't have AC, so there's no way I can keep my house at 60 degrees, even if I wanted to live in a walk in cooler like that.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #12
KillerKellers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I picked up some of those "dish" tub things from smart and final. They are only a few inches tall, which allow more air flow around the unit. The best part of a true swamp cooler (I grew up with one) is airflow and evaporation. If you put it in too deep of a tub, then the air cannot get in as well. I can drop the temp ~10* or so from just tap water + towel in a shallow tub.

Also, I dont wait for the water to "wick" to the top to start, I dip the towel into the water and pull that up and around the carboy. This gets the cooling to start right away. In Arizona, where its dry.. Doing this once every day or 2 is enough to keep it really cool. My local LHBS had some pump deal with tubes and holes in it, but I think thats a little excessive unless you don't watch it at all.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #13
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 464 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 17

+1 on that if you're going to do the full swamp cooler. I just use water and ice to cool things, so I want as much contact with water as I can and less contact with air.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply