BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation Chambers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default Fermentation Chambers?

This is going to sound like I'm knocking other posters and I'm not AT ALL but, I've seen a ton of threads and individual messages talking about building fermentation cabinets and I honestly don't understand it. The one Thomcat has going now on a thread is gorgeous (good job thomcat!)... but... and I swear I mean this as a sincere question and not some smartass crack..

why wouldn't you just use the fridge??

I've mentioned a couple of times on very recent threads that I have two fridges I pulled off of Craigslist for a combined $20. One was free and I'm bummed I wasted $20 on the other because I see fridge for free out on Craigslist almost every day.

Is it a space issue??

Is it just the satisfaction of building it yourself?? Which... believe me.. I can ABSOLUTELY appreciate.

I don't get why you would build a polystyrene box, put a bucket in it with frozen bottles... or gut a fridge's cooling mechanisms and put them into another frame... when you could just get a fridge for free.

Is there a benefit I'm missing somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am also a fan of using fridges, but they are hard to move and they suck up electricity even when not being used for brewing. Just something to consider.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 07-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I haven't built a box at all, but the supply of fridges/freezers isnt the same everywhere. It's very difficult to find them cheap or free around here. The fridge I use for a kegerator I think I paid 125 for from someone and the chest freezer I ferment in I think was 95. Even the not so cheap ones go quickly around here

If I could get free or really cheap ones I would have another 2 out in my garage. I need one for storage of kegs, and I'd like another one to ferment in.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #4
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
I haven't built a box at all, but the supply of fridges/freezers isnt the same everywhere. It's very difficult to find them cheap or free around here. The fridge I use for a kegerator I think I paid 125 for from someone and the chest freezer I ferment in I think was 95. Even the not so cheap ones go quickly around here

If I could get free or really cheap ones I would have another 2 out in my garage. I need one for storage of kegs, and I'd like another one to ferment in.
Are these way too far??
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/zip/738551388.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/zip/737269624.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/zip/736994396.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Only 200 miles each way. Cheaper to go to lowes/home depot and buy a new chest freezer

Old 07-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I love my chest freezer.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 07-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 5083 Times on 4602 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have a beer fridge. A nice vertical side by side job. Does a great job of holding bottles and keeping them at a cool 35*F but is a horrible waste of space if I want to say, hold an ale at 67*F for 7 days. Beside that, the yogurts, breads and fruits might not enjoy that too much. And the freezer side holds all my hops amidst the frozen dinners and liquor bottles.

I have a chest freezer keezer. Holds up to 9 cornies if I like. But, if I want to put just 1 bucket in there to ferment then the rest of the beer on tap has to conform to the fetal beerbaby.

So, why not a small dedicated fermentation cabinet. Set it and forget it.

I have done the whole t-shirt in a pool of water with a fan and frozen ice jugs and personally, I'd rather drop it in a refridgerated box and not worry if the bin has run dry or if I hit my target ferm temp orif I need to add more ice.

Finally, with this I don;t have to worry about the wifes suppositories getting mingled in with my dry yeast.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
The Beer Baron
Recipes 

I'm personally trying to see if I can build something that would hold 6 15gal kegs and will use as little electricity as possible. It would take 3 chest freezers and 3 temp controllers for me to pull it off using pre-made refrigerators, so if it would work, it would be the better way to go for me.

I also have a corner of my house that I'd like to put a bar in, but it wouldn't fit a chest freezer very well. So (if possible...I'm still researching the subject) it would be nice to be able to build something that would accommodate just what I need, and only have to use a mini-fridge that I can get for like $5 - $10

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Prisonweizen
Planning: Edworts Haus Pale Ale / Edworts Aplewein
Building: Single Tier 10 gal system / Counter Flow Chiller

Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

1. no room for another fridge
2. another fridge also costs more money to run the electricity

unless you NEED it, I find it just as simple and cheaper to do a swamp cooler, or my fermentation box, or a combination...at least for ales. in the winter my basement gets cold enough to lager.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 07-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #10
slnies

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
1. no room for another fridge
2. another fridge also costs more money to run the electricity

unless you NEED it, I find it just as simple and cheaper to do a swamp cooler, or my fermentation box, or a combination...at least for ales. in the winter my basement gets cold enough to lager.
I do like your swamp cooler idea, but a cost analysis says the fridge is cheaper for the time you have to run it. To freeze the water alone you are expending more energy than if you were to keep 5 time the water mass at fermentation temp in the fridge. Not only that but laggering is way easier in the fridge. The best part though is that when I am done I can still use it as a fridge. The swamp cooler will always be some foam panels, duct tape or construction adhesive, and ETC... This fridge looks nice with out having to build a special cabinet for it. This said, if you have no other choice, than the swamp cooler is the way to go. Some fermentation control is better than no control. But for god's sake stop trying to tell people it is more economical energy wise. The physics just don't play out. I get that you like your idea, and by all means be proud. It is a great idea. Just state that as your opinion, because then no one can make you sound foolish. Now, I will state that I like the fridge because it is easy and simple to maintain, a no fuss solution. But this is my opinion.

PS I am sorry ahead of time for being a dick! S.

Primary: American Wheat
Secondary: Phils Pils Clone

Quick Reply