Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation Chamber w/ Refrigeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #71
normzone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Well, guess who found a sanyo fridge at the apartment "stuff exchange" (by the dumpster where people leave things too cool to put in the dumpster when they move out).

It will only hold a 3 gallon carboy in it's current life - I'll try it on a 3 gallon corny / CO2 tank next week when I staycation, and then look into stacking it in some configuration like Mr. Febtober suggested.

As a newbie who has made four unsatisfactory batches, I've come to the conclusion that fermentation temperature control is my first hurdle to overcome, followed by the boil all / boil some paradox.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #72
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts

I found that using pre-existing furniture, guts from the fridge, and some foam gets you a fermentaion chamber that is cost effective and large enought for carboys...

img_2327.jpg   img_2325.jpg  

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM   #73
badmajon
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

...just picked up a mini-fridge for $20, won't hold a carboy as it is, but it'll become a lovely new fermentation chamber in the coming weeks! Thanks for posting this!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #74
cpatel479
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Can anyone detail how they got the guts of the mini fridge out? I'm not very handy, but want to attempt this and I'm not sure what tools I will need to do this. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #75
Foosinho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatel479 View Post
Can anyone detail how they got the guts of the mini fridge out? I'm not very handy, but want to attempt this and I'm not sure what tools I will need to do this. Thanks in advance.
I used a dremel for precision. Cut the back open enough that you can slide the little "ice tray" thru. Bing-bang-boom.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #76
SpartyParty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Fan question

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomcat333 View Post
08/25/07

Ok... well since you mentioned it, and because I found a suitable AC powered fan at radioshack the other day, I installed one. I added a switch beside the controller so that in the "ON" position, it comes on whenever the compressor is on. In the "OFF" position it doesn't come on at all. I also added a digital thermometer with the display outside the cabinet. I swear I'm going to stop messing with this and start brewing again soon... I think a buddy of mine and I are going to start and Oktoberfest around Labor Day. Cheers!

The Fan:

The Switch:

- Andy
TOMCAT... When you wired the fan how did you tie it to the temp control? Thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #77
inamays
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

This is EXACTLY what I am planning to make. Nice job Tomcat!

Old 11-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #78
thomcat333

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks! It definitely served me well... I've since moved on to using a small/medium sized chest freezer for fermentation. More room but more difficult to load.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #79
jclark1299
Recipes 

Excellent Craftsmanship! I hope mine comes close to as nice as this.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #80
EthenWithAnE
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry, I have to ask before I screw up a lot of work I've put into this already.

Thomkat, or anyone who has done this please chime in. I've used this basic concept for my own chamber (kudos to you for posting this), but i'm at the wiring stage and a little confused. Forgive, I don't have much wiring experience.

I see you took the fridge thermostat off so all that is remaining are the white and grey wires running from the compressor.

Looks as if the white wire is connected with the actual power cord and the grey wire runs into the new thermostat.

Then you have an additional wire that connects the power cord to the thermostat. I'm assuming this powers the thermostat, please correct me if thats the wrong assumption.

Then there is some sort of relay between the power cord and the thermostat....what is this?

Any diagram or answers to the above would be helpful.

Thanks all,
e.

Quick Reply