Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation Chamber w/ Refrigeration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
thomcat333
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Fermentation Chamber w/ Refrigeration

So I bought a small used minifridge for $25 and have successfully taken all of the mechanical and electrical bits out without releasing any refrigerant. My plan is to build something similar to the "Son of Fermentation" chamber, only I'm planning on cooling it with the internals from the small fridge. I've got a temp controller and thermocouple on the way...

Yes, I'm basically building a franken-mini-fridge. Has anybody else seen this done???

I am just freakin tired of tending to the towel and fan...

Wish me luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've got a small freezer I could cannibalize...please post your pics and methods....I'd definitely be interested! Incidentally, how'd you manage to get it apart nd not spring a leak? I don't know if I have that kind of finesse.....

Old 07-31-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
thomcat333

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll post pics as things progress. As for the extraction, the first round involved a screw driver, the second some pliars, the third a set of good tin snips, and then I finally got her out in one piece.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a small dorm fridge I saved from a landfill purgatory that I was planning to do the same with soon. The difference is I was planning on using it as a pseudo-window unit air conditioner. I was planning on building a a fermentation chamber to fit a spot in my brew area, then build a shelf on the back with a hole slightly smaller than the from t of the fridge. I would then remove the door and hinge materials and affix the frige to the box with a a rope that allows tension by tightening a threaded rod and sandwiching insulation to ensure a good seal. I was planning on starting construction this week, and was gonna post pics, however, depending on how you do, I may modify the approach.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think you may have spent a lot more time and energy than was necessary. You could have built a large rigid foam box with a hole in the side where you'd put the mini fride with the door taken off. A little caulk where they meet up and you're good to go. I'd run a small fan in there just to keep the air circulating in any case.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Perhaps, but if we all adopt the minimalist approach on everything, we would be walking around wearing burlap sacks and eating off the floor.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
SixFoFalcon
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA
Perhaps, but if we all adopt the minimalist approach on everything, we would be walking around wearing burlap sacks and eating off the floor.
I don't think I'd mind, as long as I have a steady supply of homebrew.
On tap:Witbier, American Stout, Imperial Stout, Root Beer

Bottled:"Massacreation" Chinook Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, English IPA, Cabernet Sauvignon
Next: US IPA

Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_PA
The world may come to that but I bet half the people on this site would be looking for something to brew instead of learning to sew...

Old 07-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #9
Ryan_PA
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
The world may come to that but I bet half the people on this site would be looking for something to brew instead of learning to sew...
Mr. Fancy Pants is gonna have a sewn sack. I would lean towards the toga-like knot.

My real point was that my brew area, albeit the workshop portion of my basement, still needs to look decent in the eyes of the wife, plus I plan on having my chanber last a few years. That is why I was looking for something more sturdy and aesthetically appealing than the foam board box, but that is all one really needs.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:07 PM   #10
MrFebtober
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I, too, would like to see a picture of the in-tact fridge hardware sans cabinet and foam.

Sounds neat, but I'm probably only going to remove the door and cut the top off of my dorm-cube fridge when i convert it into a ferm cabinet. maybe the the sides, if needed.

good luck.

Quick Reply