Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermentation chamber temp control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 02:09 AM   #1
ImperialStout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Fermentation chamber temp control

Saw this posted here on HBT back on 2/19/10

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Most fermentation chamber systems seem to rely on aquarium heaters. Wondering if this or a similar controller can be used to regulate temp, using the fridge cooling system for cold and a couple of 100 watt light bulbs for heat?

I heat a water well holding tank in the winter with two 100 watt light bulbs. Only one is really needed but put in two incase one burns out. The tank is inside a 9 cubic foot styrofoam box. Just need to keep the tank from freezing but the system works great. Wondering if the same system wouldn't work for a fermentation chamber.

"Ask not what your country can brew for you ; ask what you can brew for your country."

"ich braute dieses Bier mit meinem Hund" (Life is indeed short: Get a Beagle and a Beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1526 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 52725

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialStout View Post
Saw this posted here on HBT back on 2/19/10

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

Most fermentation chamber systems seem to rely on aquarium heaters. Wondering if this or a similar controller can be used to regulate temp, using the fridge cooling system for cold and a couple of 100 watt light bulbs for heat?

I heat a water well holding tank in the winter with two 100 watt light bulbs. Only one is really needed but put in two incase one burns out. The tank is inside a 9 cubic foot styrofoam box. Just need to keep the tank from freezing but the system works great. Wondering if the same system wouldn't work for a fermentation chamber.
That's exactly what it is made for. It has a heat and cool cycle. As you can see in the build thread, if you hook it up to an outlet, you can have one half of the outlet control your cooling option (fridge) and one half control the heating option (light bulb). It's a simple, cheap build and it works great. It's what I use on my fermentation chamber.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 10-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #3
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yep. I use one on a chest freezer. Freezer itself gives cooling while an infrared reptile bulb and fan supply heat. Works great. My beer has really gained with the addition of temperature controlled fermentation.

Note: Tape the temperature probe to the side of your carboy and insulate it somehow from the ambient inside the freezer. This will have you more-closely controlling the temperature of the beer and not the ambient inside the freezer. You're beer will hold a more-constant temp and you'll reduce cycling of your freezer.

Note#2: You wouldn't need two 100W bulbs. One 60W would work better as you don't need alot of heating power. Also, if you heat too quickly, you'll overshoot and then needlessly cycle your freezer to cool back down.

- CStone

Old 10-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep, I've been using a single 60w bulb for 2 years now in my ferm chamber that holds 4 carboys. Just make sure you leave enough space between it and your pink foam (if that's what you use).

Also, 2 100w is overkill as mentioned. If you are really worried about one burning out, use 2 25w, or 2 40w bulbs. I guess it will also depend on where you ferment, I ferment in a 60* room, so I don't need to heat much, if you ferment in a 42* garage, you might need more.

Quick Reply