Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fermenation chamber from a mini-fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
figgy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermenation chamber from a mini-fridge?

I am considering building something like this for a fermentation chamber…

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/4-6-...version-88554/

The chamber will be in my garage that gets down below 30 deg in winter and above 90 degrees in summer. I would like to be able to brew both ales or lagers anytime of the year. I have heard of putting a light bulb inside the chamber to keep it warm enough to ferment ales in the winter. Is this what is typically used or is there another way to keep temps up in winter?

Can anyone recommend a set of plans/photos to follow for building a fermentation chamber for both ales and lagers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
ebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For heating I use the Fermwrap. A bit spendy, but I cut it into two pieces and wired the cut piece up with a spare power cord to make it essentially a 2 for 1 sale. It works really well, and for my fridge fermenter I stopped wrapping it around the fermenter. Instead I just hang it inside...works really well.

I've also seen folks use a reptile cage heater like this one.

Some folks use a simple electric heating pad available from about any drug store.

If you want to go the DIY route, here is a good write up for building a Fermwrap for cheap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply