Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > FDA Approved Pumps

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
willynilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default FDA Approved Pumps

I have seen several 1BBL brewing systems as of late that have been used, or are in use in a commercial setting that have pumps with poly heads. I am talking about March pumps and Little Giant pumps.

How does a commercial brewery get away with using pump heads that are not made from FDA approved materials? Seals?

Anyone? The difference between a poly head pump and a SS pump is about $1300 per pump. If I have to use a $1300 pump to make it FDA approved, so be it, but what about these other guys?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It doesn't need to be stainless to meet FDA. Many types of plastic are food safe.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
It doesn't need to be stainless to meet FDA. Many types of plastic are food safe.
Well, I just spoke with March and Little Giant techs, and they both said that their heads are not made from FDA approved materials.

So... I am still wondering how a certain brewery on the east coast is selling/using a brewhouse outfitted with these pumps.

I know there are food safe plastics, I eat food out of them every day...

Just saying, March and Little Giant heads arent... so how are people gettin away with it?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They use what works until there is a need to change, and they haven't realized a need to change yet.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionalChaos View Post
They use what works until there is a need to change, and they haven't realized a need to change yet.
Wouldnt the FDA inspect a brewery and want to see proof that these materials are food grade? If you are running a business, and fall under this govt. regulation, wouldnt this be an issue?

All I know at this point is that my buddy is going to have to cough up about $4k for pumps on the system I am building him. Glad it isnt my freaking money.

I mean it isnt so much about FDA approved as it is FDA compliant... approval is a stamp, compliant means that it is acceptable. The pump mfg. said that their poly heads were not "food grade material". Now I have to see if that means not APPROVED, or NOT COMPLIANT.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4643 Times on 4545 Posts
Likes Given: 2254

Food safe at what temps? Perhaps temp is a consideration?

Old 05-28-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The FDA may or may not inspect breweries regularly, but I bet that when they do, they don't look at every seal and gasket, every hose and every pump head. I'm sure there are things that get over looked.

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Why don't you get the stainless head for the march. It is about $120 more than the poly head. Seems way cheaper than going to a full out sanitary pump.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

The common Little Giant and March pumps may not be NFS or FDA certified, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the materials used in the pump heads are not safe. IIRC, most are polysulphone or Ryton and those materials are safe for use in food handling. It's been awhile since I read up on this stuff, but the truth is out there. There's no way I'd pay those big bucks for an SS pump head if I could avoid it and still use safe materials. I'm not at all surprised that some of the big boys feel the same way.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
willynilly
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
Why don't you get the stainless head for the march. It is about $120 more than the poly head. Seems way cheaper than going to a full out sanitary pump.
You are talking about a March 809 on a 1BBL system, which would almost be like pumping backward. I wont outfit a 1BBL system with anything less than a 1050 GPH rated pump.

Yeah the 809 can get the head cheap, but the flow is slow.

Quick Reply