Faucets - Why SS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
Why should the shanks be SS? I assume they are better, but why? Last longer? Flavor problems? You don't see these things, so why spend double the money?

Brass contains a small amount of lead, and the acidity of wine and some very hoppy beers can let trace amounts of the lead leach out. I'm not too worried about it though. Almost all plumbing faucets and valves are made of brass. Furthermore, lead is really only harmful to pregnant women and children, and they shouldn't be drinking beer anyways. If you disagree then tell me why half the population doesn't have lead poisoning?

Beer, especially carbonated beer, is acidic. The chrome plating on brass eventually wears off, brass tastes nasty. Tap water is not acidic or carbonated so it's not nearly as much an issue.
That being said, my 2 towers have 6 shanks, all of which are brass, I believe. My faucets are SS. I'd like to replace all the shanks, but I'd rather not spend $240 replacing them all. Maybe some day.

My concern is not so much the issue with the brass, but that plating will flake off. I don't want flakes in my beer.
I guess it depends on your situation. I am waiting until i can afford stainless everything so i do it ONCE. This is also why i am currently using cobra taps.

Latest posts

Back