Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > FAQ: Aluminum Pots for Boil Kettles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #321
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was shocked today, pulled out my old turkey frying stuff, since I never do that anymore. Sprayed out the 30 quart aluminum pot I used to use, filled it 2/3 full with hot water, threw it on the singe burner I used to use, and was shocked, i had about 20 quarts of water boiling in 15 minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #322
Yellowirenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

For those who live in Indiana and Michigan http://www.atlasrestaurantsupply.com/ is a good place to go. I buy all my regular cooking pot n pans from them. good prices for an item designed for the daily abuse of a restaurant.
The different styles and sizes of pots/kettles you can order on site is immense.

Find out if you have a local restaurant supply store in your area and take a look.
they do not advertise and usually hidden away in a cheep rent building. they are selling a product not an image.

Edit - i just realized wile looking at there vender list that perlick is one of them.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #323
BrewingRob
Recipes 

Head's up to anyone using an Aluminum pot:

So, I got an amazing deal -- a turkey fryer at a garage sale for $10. Didn't they know what this can be used for?!

I read about baking the pot. Check. I read about the stainless/aluminum pros and cons. Check. I did not catch the "Don't use PBW" clause. The pot is now pitted and nasty.

So, warning to newbies out there: When the FAQ says do not use caustic cleaners, it's serious. NO PBW.

For what it's worth, I'm going to keep using it. The only downside is that my 4.5 gallon stainless pot is wide enough to get to a rolling boil on my gas kitchen stove. The turkey fryer is too tall. It needs a better burner. So, it's more of a fair-weather friend.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #324
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 8

No big deal, I would scour the heck out of it, with a scrub pad or perhaps with medium then fine sandpaper. Then oxidize it again. Aluminum is soft and can be refinished ala ghetto style.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #325
jbakajust1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I have a related question, 2 actually. If I have used oxy based cleaners on aluminum and have removed some of the oxide, is there a way to restore it? Also, if I inherit an Aluminum pot that has been used, is there a way to ensure that it has a proper oxide barrier in place? I bought aluminum cam locks and have used oxyclean on them about 4 - 5 times now. I also may be getting a couple used (party supply store rentals) 15 gallon pots.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #326
Heavyfoot
Recipes 

Picked up a new 48L aluminum pot yesterday.

I boiled about 26L in it to build up the oxide layer.

As seen in the picture, it's quite dark up to where the water line was.

As long as I'm never boiling more than around 23L of wort, should I be worried about the upper half of the pot not having the oxidation layer?

image-1347415051.jpg

Old 03-15-2013, 12:03 AM   #327
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

No, I would say you are fine regardless of your intended boil volume, aluminum oxidizes very easily and a preboil is merely a precaution...RDWHAHB cheers

Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #328
Majic
Recipes 

Default aluminum pot - stainless valve

is there any evidence of metal interaction that would prevent me from using an aluminum pot with a stainless bulkhead ?

thanks- Lou

Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #329
SpikeBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 54

You're on the edge for recommended galvanic corrosion limits. Stainless is a .5V and aluminum is between .75-.95V. For normal environments they recommend less than a .25V difference. Wouldn't be the worst idea to disassemble after uses.

Source: http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #330
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic View Post
is there any evidence of metal interaction that would prevent me from using an aluminum pot with a stainless bulkhead ?

thanks- Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
I've been using the same 32QT aluminum pot for years. Started out life as my boil kettle, then I put a 4,500w element in it, and it became my electric boil kettle. These days it's my electric HLT. It's still trucking along. Stainless fittings, and no signs of corrosion yet.

The entire pot acts as a sacrificial anode if you use it with an electric element. In theory, the entire pot will eventually wear out. It could be decades before that happens, and if it ever does, it was only a $22 pot.

If you are using propane, my setup is a worst-case scenario by comparison, and I've had zero issues. Carry on =)

You are likely very fine and this is not a problem at all for your intended infrequent use as a homebrewer. This type of corrosion is more pertinent to structural applications, plumbing of pressure vessels, or marine environments. I would be more concerned of a lightning strike during a brew session than the stainless fitting on your aluminum pot...cheers!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/alum...ttings-372245/

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_stain..._with_aluminum

Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Quick Reply