Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fantastic deal on turkey fryer!! (for boiling wort)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
9/9
Collembola!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I ordered this a few days as well, and just got the message that it shipped this morning.

Now we have all the equipment for our first AG.

Primary: empty
Secondary: AHB Dry Mead (17)
Bottled: EdWort's Apfelwein (15), Vienna - Cascade SMaSH (19)
Drinking:MO-Amarillo SMaSH (14), BierMucher's Black Pearl Porter (13), Munich-NB SMaSH (16), Lemon Summer Blonde (18)
Planning: Belgian Brown (20)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #22
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just ordered mine today. The price has dropped more to ~32-33$. Can't wait to do a full boil!

Now I just need to get my copper tubing ordered, I have no good way to chill 5 gallons of boiling wort at the moment

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 05-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #23
Jeff48
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegionalChaos View Post
I just ordered mine today. The price has dropped more to ~32-33$. Can't wait to do a full boil!

Now I just need to get my copper tubing ordered, I have no good way to chill 5 gallons of boiling wort at the moment
Just did our first 5 gallon boil in the fryer last Saturday. Same problem, no way to cool the wort. However 2 large bags of commercial ice and a 6 dollar plastic trash can worked wonders. We dumped about 1/2 a bag in the bottom of the trash can and lowered the fryer into it then placed ice all the way around the stock pot by hand so as not to splash. Went from 212 degrees at flameout to 74 degrees in 18 minutes. Was below 140 in less than 5.

I am still going to get a wort chiller but I am definately not in as big a rush as I was.

Drinking:Blondie's Amer. Ale 3- Pyramid Power Cervezas 3 - Georgie Washington's Vogelkirsche - Breakfast of Champions (Orange Heffe)- Himbeerehefeweizenbier (Raz Heffe)-Erin Go Bragh - Excalibur Stout AG - Moondust (Blue Moon clone)

Prim:
2ndry:Amarillo Blondie 2-PP Cervezas 4
Conditioning:Petey's AG Porter- John Barleywine Must Live

Hops Grown in 08: Magnum, Goldings, Cascade, Centennial

Wine:
Prim.- AUS Shiraz
2ndry- Gewurztraminer - Port
Bottle Aging- Burgeron Blanc

Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #24
Tankard
Recipes 

It dropped again! $32.34 shipped now. Anyone who misses their chance at getting this is going to be upset.

By the way, if anyone ordered the product back when it was $36, just email amazon and they will refund you the difference. They already refunded $2 bucks when it went to $34... looks like I'm going to have to email them again.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #25
cheeseshark
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Is it worth it or will I upgrade

I have been extract brewing (partial boil) for about 7-8 batches, and I have been fairly pleased with the results. I have been wanting to upgrade to a full boil. I am wondering if I should grab this deal. I am just wondering if I will want to upgrade the burner and the pot shortly, and maybe I should just save the $30 for a nicer set up. In other words, will this satisfy my full boil needs for long enough to make it worth the $30?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #26
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseshark View Post
I have been extract brewing (partial boil) for about 7-8 batches, and I have been fairly pleased with the results. I have been wanting to upgrade to a full boil. I am wondering if I should grab this deal. I am just wondering if I will want to upgrade the burner and the pot shortly, and maybe I should just save the $30 for a nicer set up. In other words, will this satisfy my full boil needs for long enough to make it worth the $30?
I have an el' cheapo turkey fryer kit like this, and I wondered the same thing. I also now have a keggle and good stand/burner, but I still make VERY good use of the old turkey fryer setup. First, aluminum pots work wonders on the stovetop (important for me in the winter when I can't brew outside). Second, I figured out that full boils in the turkey fryer pot are NO PROBLEM whatsoever now that I am using foam control drops (aka Fermcap). Finally, if you ever do upgrade, the pot and burner make a fine hot liquor tank. At that price, you seriously can't go wrong.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:50 AM   #27
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Done. The timing could not have been better. I'm about to move to Florida and I have to buy my own full set of equipment. This saved me a bunch of money. Dad's was a gift, I gotta leave it for him.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 05-13-2008, 03:49 AM   #28
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bought one too.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 05-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #29
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff48 View Post
Just did our first 5 gallon boil in the fryer last Saturday. Same problem, no way to cool the wort. However 2 large bags of commercial ice and a 6 dollar plastic trash can worked wonders. We dumped about 1/2 a bag in the bottom of the trash can and lowered the fryer into it then placed ice all the way around the stock pot by hand so as not to splash. Went from 212 degrees at flameout to 74 degrees in 18 minutes. Was below 140 in less than 5.

I am still going to get a wort chiller but I am definately not in as big a rush as I was.
Those are some great numbers to hear Jeff. Thanks for that info. In general I want to avoid having to buy ice, but it should be OK until the IC is all put together

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what...hamber-190459/

Old 05-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #30
Slappy White
Recipes 

Just bought it too...$32.34...can't get much better than that. Thanks for letting everyone know about this ridiculously good deal.

"Good people drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson
Apfelwein and beer...

Quick Reply