Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Fantastic deal on turkey fryer!! (for boiling wort)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #101
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodfatherX View Post
hmm .........mine took like 1.25 hours to bring about 6.5 to a full boil. I had it open 2 turns with the lid on...
If you're not familiar with big gas burners, you should know that they sound like a jet engine, and they are loud enough that you'll have to raise your voice to talk over it if you're standing right there.
My first go went very bad (Thank god I tried with Water first) as the regulator had some shipping goo in it, and it didn't burn much hotter than the kitchen stove. I was very unhappy. Whatever it was busted loose, last night I had 3 gallons to a rolling boil in about 15 minutes, and not on full blast either.

Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 05:27 PM   #102
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You know....it was very loud when I 1st started to boil the water, but after a bit I noticed the brass fitting and hose that connect to the burner were getting quite hot...so I used some foil to cover that side of the burner to keep the heat away from it. After that though, it wasn't near as loud. I wonder if I was blocking some O2 from the mix?

Update:

I just tried it without the foil barrier. I was able to bring 3 gallons of 71 degree F tap water up to a boil in about 15 minutes. Freakin awesome. Thx for the reply Kahuna....I might have never tried it without the foil. This time the fitting and hose didn't get hot without the foil some some odd reason.

Last edited by RodfatherX; 05-26-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: update

Old 05-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #103
fork
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just got one for 37 dollars from home depot yesterday.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #104
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodfatherX View Post
You know....it was very loud when I 1st started to boil the water, but after a bit I noticed the brass fitting and hose that connect to the burner were getting quite hot...so I used some foil to cover that side of the burner to keep the heat away from it. After that though, it wasn't near as loud. I wonder if I was blocking some O2 from the mix?

Update:

I just tried it without the foil barrier. I was able to bring 3 gallons of 71 degree F tap water up to a boil in about 15 minutes. Freakin awesome. Thx for the reply Kahuna....I might have never tried it without the foil. This time the fitting and hose didn't get hot without the foil some some odd reason.

Wow I have not even opened mine yet, but 15min boil that quick sounds like its a winner!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #105
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I plan on getting ten bucks worth of flashing to make sure things go nice and quick.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 06-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #106
7Enigma
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
If you're not familiar with big gas burners, you should know that they sound like a jet engine, and they are loud enough that you'll have to raise your voice to talk over it if you're standing right there.
My first go went very bad (Thank god I tried with Water first) as the regulator had some shipping goo in it, and it didn't burn much hotter than the kitchen stove. I was very unhappy. Whatever it was busted loose, last night I had 3 gallons to a rolling boil in about 15 minutes, and not on full blast either.

Good luck.
OP here. Unfortunately I did not see this post earlier and had a horrible experience last night brewing my AHS Oatmeal Stout. I was only doing a partial boil (4 gallons) and I NEVER got to a boil. I thought I had a bum regulator because I found if I turned the needle valve almost off (while the flame was lit) and then quickly spun the knob open I could get a much larger flame....for about 1 second and then it would go back to its piddlingly slow rate. My thermometer was showing >200F but I never hit the boil. I kept thinking my tank was near empty but when I sloshed it around I could still here a good bit of liquid propane so I knew it wasn't that.

I was doing a late extract addition (~1/2-3/4lb extract with the hops since the Stout has so many steeping grains), and so needed to kill the heat with about 15min left.

I turned off the heat, added my malt, turned the heat back on and was shocked to see it now putting out about 3-4X the heat. I looked down at the burner and it was huge. I had not changed anything just physically turned off both the needle and the tank valves and then back on, but something had changed. Now with the heat much stronger I had to constantly stir the mixture to prevent burning on the bottom, but I still never took the batch to a complete boil (I had started to hydrate my yeast and was worried it would be less effective if it sat too long before being pitched). I hope this doesn't hurt me in taste later on.

My other fear is that since I was always trying to conserve heat (lid was on unless stirring) that some off-flavors may have been trapped that normally boil off (sulfates or something). Every previous batch I did was done uncovered as recommended but with this one I could barely hit 190F if I didn't have it completely covered. I should have realized something was seriously wrong, but just kept hoping it would magically boil. Now I realize as you did BigKahuna that something was messed up with the regulator.

To top off my horrible ordeal, while everything else went great in terms of setting up the fermenter after adding all the wort to the 2 gallons of water I had pre-boiled and cooled, I had what looks to be 6 gallons (or possibly even a hair more)! Remember I had virtually no water loss from the boil since it was practically covered the entire time and so my well planned thought of having more than 6 gallons pre-boil came back to bite me in the arse. I was so ticked I carried the full carboy downstairs, popped in the airlock and had to leave the house for a bit or risk going Office Space on the burner.

I'll need to go back and actually read the instructions to see if there was something I did wrong when lighting (ie you HAVE to do it a specific way or the regulator acts wierd). I doubt it, and will chalk it up to dumb luck, but I would recommend for anyone that purchased this product to FIRST try it on just a couple gallons of water and make sure you can get it to a boil in under 30min. As others mentioned (and I should have remembered since my buddy brewed a batch before with one) these friers sound like whistling jet engines when you are really heating. Loud enough to be annoying if very close, and the flame will be practically touching the bottom of the pot.

Last edited by 7Enigma; 06-03-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #107
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

For those wanting a deal on turkey fryers, wait until after thanksgiving, I got one at target for 19.99 (7.5 gal aluminum pot, burner, accessories). I upgraded to a keggle and will probably make a keggle HLT now that I do 10 gal boils, but it's been nice to have the pot and burner, will still use the burner.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #108
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Enigma View Post
OP here. Unfortunately I did not see this post earlier and had a horrible experience last night brewing my AHS Oatmeal Stout. I was only doing a partial boil (4 gallons) and I NEVER got to a boil. I thought I had a bum regulator because I found if I turned the needle valve almost off (while the flame was lit) and then quickly spun the knob open I could get a much larger flame....for about 1 second and then it would go back to its piddlingly slow rate. My thermometer was showing >200F but I never hit the boil. I kept thinking my tank was near empty but when I sloshed it around I could still here a good bit of liquid propane so I knew it wasn't that.

I was doing a late extract addition (~1/2-3/4lb extract with the hops since the Stout has so many steeping grains), and so needed to kill the heat with about 15min left.

I turned off the heat, added my malt, turned the heat back on and was shocked to see it now putting out about 3-4X the heat. I looked down at the burner and it was huge. I had not changed anything just physically turned off both the needle and the tank valves and then back on, but something had changed. Now with the heat much stronger I had to constantly stir the mixture to prevent burning on the bottom, but I still never took the batch to a complete boil (I had started to hydrate my yeast and was worried it would be less effective if it sat too long before being pitched). I hope this doesn't hurt me in taste later on.

My other fear is that since I was always trying to conserve heat (lid was on unless stirring) that some off-flavors may have been trapped that normally boil off (sulfates or something). Every previous batch I did was done uncovered as recommended but with this one I could barely hit 190F if I didn't have it completely covered. I should have realized something was seriously wrong, but just kept hoping it would magically boil. Now I realize as you did BigKahuna that something was messed up with the regulator.

To top off my horrible ordeal, while everything else went great in terms of setting up the fermenter after adding all the wort to the 2 gallons of water I had pre-boiled and cooled, I had what looks to be 6 gallons (or possibly even a hair more)! Remember I had virtually no water loss from the boil since it was practically covered the entire time and so my well planned thought of having more than 6 gallons pre-boil came back to bite me in the arse. I was so ticked I carried the full carboy downstairs, popped in the airlock and had to leave the house for a bit or risk going Office Space on the burner.

I'll need to go back and actually read the instructions to see if there was something I did wrong when lighting (ie you HAVE to do it a specific way or the regulator acts wierd). I doubt it, and will chalk it up to dumb luck, but I would recommend for anyone that purchased this product to FIRST try it on just a couple gallons of water and make sure you can get it to a boil in under 30min. As others mentioned (and I should have remembered since my buddy brewed a batch before with one) these friers sound like whistling jet engines when you are really heating. Loud enough to be annoying if very close, and the flame will be practically touching the bottom of the pot.
I do not think it will really matter since you were doing extract. Except for the hop utilization....but I would think if dry hopping works, so would 60 minutes at around 190. Not sure though about the DMS since you kept the lid on, maybe someone else knows with extract.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #109
Shaggy
Recipes 

Oh man...sorry to hear you had such issues on your session 7E!!!
I need to do another boil on this thing before I brew I think.
While my test with 5gal went well for the conditions I was in, I think I could do better.
I don't think I will be doing 5gal boils though for a bit....for now partials work fine as I learn.
So, I think I'll boil like 3 gal next time and time it....I still need to pick up some flashing though for sure. Wind blows. (pun intended)

Old 06-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #110
Farmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

Everyone should boil 6 gallons of water for 30 - 60 minutes on your first use just to build up the passive oxide layer of the aluminum.

A good post on boiling with aluminum

Seems we have a 2nd reason as well now, to test the flames ability to boil 6 gallons.

Drinking: Pale Ale (Brew House no-Boil kit)
Bottle Conditioning: Munich Dark (Brew House no-boil kit)
Plastic Primary: Empty
Glass Primary: EdWort's Apfelwein
Plans for: AHB British Ale (full 5g boil);

Quick Reply