False Bottom in my SS Mashtun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
Hello All

I am using my 16 gallon SS Bayou Classic pot as my mash tun, but like everyone says, when brewing a 5 gallon batch the false bottom that came with the pot is just too high. So i have a friend getting rid of a cooler mash tun and it is a false bottom in the bottom of it. My question is can i use a mash tun that lays on the bottom of the pot, but doesn't go all the way out to the edges of the pot. My thinking is when i vorlauf it will create a nice grain bed and it won't matter if the false bottom doesn't go all the way to the edge of the pot.

What do you guys think?

You would want to go all the way to the edge of the pot. If the gap is not too large try using some silicone tubing to fill the gap. Just cut it down the middle and wrap it around the FB.

If your talking about the domed cooler false bottom that some people use then yeah that will work for smaller batches. The only real setback to those is the small 3/8" brass barbed fitting and the hose connection, they tent to get hit during the mash and/or come off causing a mess. If you stir easy you should be OK. They are a little small for your size kettle but it will work for sure. If you end up wanting a full false bottom system for your kettle Shoot me a PM I would be happy to help you out.

Cheers
Jay

Back