Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > False Bottom for MLT - What am I doing wrong???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
g-star
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default False Bottom for MLT - What am I doing wrong???

I've used a 10gal round cooler with a SS braid for 2 years with no troubles. However, the braid got pretty beat up, and it was time to replace it. I figured that I would upgrade and try out a real false bottom, specifically this model from Williams Brewing:

False Bottom

I tried it out this weekend, and lautering was a nightmare. I ran off more than a 2 gallons (slowly) during vorlauf, and I kept getting big pieces of husk coming through, no matter what. I had to rig up some complicated filtering system and ended up with several grams of crushed husks in the filter bag by the time I got all my wort into the kettle.

So what am I doing wrong? The FB is designed for my size cooler and seems held down fairly well. Is there anything I can do to get this to work better, or this a fact of life with these things?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I had a stuck sparge the first time I use my false bottom. I got one of those stainless steel scrubbing pads and stuck it under the FB at the pick up tube and haven't had a problem since.

I also try to keep from disturbing the FB or pushing any grains under it or through the holes when I stir the mash

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
bdjohns1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got a similar one from Northern. I'm not sure there's enough curvature on the bottom. That impedes flow into the pickup once the grain weight is on it. I ended up taking a file to it and creating a few notches in the fitting to guarantee that flow into the pickup couldn't be interrupted.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
06vmi06
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

i have the same thing and tried it for the first time over the weekend for my pumpkin amber ale and it got stuck overt and over and over. i am going to try and use the stainless steel scrubby this week whe n i do a honey wheat and see if it works any better...so far though NOT impressed.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 266

It has worked real well for me. I did a pumpkin ale with canned pumpkin and oats last week and didn't have any problems at all. I had to cut the scrubby in half because it was a bit too thick and pushed the false bottom up off of the bottom of the cooler.

I was using a braid, but have switched to the false bottom and I like it a lot better. It allowed me to switch to fly sparging and my efficiency has come up quite a bit.

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks for the replies. I may try the stainless steel scrubby trick, that sounds like it might help. If not, I will go back to the braid or a kettle screen, and just continue to batch sparge.

Quick Reply