Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > False Bottom for Coleman Cooler?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
nztayls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default False Bottom for Coleman Cooler?

Hi there,

I am about to buy a Coleman 5gal beverage cooler to use as a mash tun. As I am all the way down in New Zealand we are somewhat limited to what we have access to.

I think I would prefer to go with a false bottom setup, rather than try to make a manifold, just for ease of simplicity. Can anyone recommend a good website that sells false bottoms to fit these cooler?

And could I get away with simply using a large grain bag (like the ones for BIAB) to line the cooler with?, this should have the same effect as using a false bottom or a manifold, right?

Nztayls
Wellington, New Zealand (just go east after you hit Australia)
Currently Drinking: White House Honey Ale, Orval Clone, Windhoek Special Clone
Primary: Nil
Secondary:Windhoek Special Clone
Conditioning:L'Enfer du Nord Wit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
Gonefishin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

Hello NZ! If you are going to do 5-gal. batches or plan to in the future, I would suggest a 10-gal. cooler. Regardless, here is a pic of my real cheap FB. It is the lid off a large skillet that had a broken handle and was no longer used. The holes are 5/16" and 3/8" dia. and there are a lot of them. The screen is a nylon(I think) paint strainer bag. I have done 4 AG Batches with it so far. No problem at all and it is still the original paint strainer bag with no sign of wear. I just cinch the open end of the bag around the nipple of the valve with a plastic wire tie and cut it off after the brew to remove and clean.
GO ALL BLACKS!!!

10-2012-252.jpg   10-2012-255.jpg   10-2012-254.jpg  

I've got lots of patience. I just don't have time.

nztayls Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply