Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > False bottom and boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
-Dan-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default False bottom and boil

Hi,
I finally got around to purchase a false bottom for my Polar Ware pot. Question: Do you put the false bottom in before yuo add everything or later? The reason why I am asking is a small note that came with the false bottom saying to be careful when putting the bottom in the pot not to disturb anything and "possibly change the taste of the beer."
I had just put it in and leave it there the entire time. I am not mashing in it either

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Catt22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have no idea what that note was trying to tell you. It doesn't make any sense. Perhaps it is a reference to possibly gouging the sides of the kettle. Scratches and gouges would expose raw unpassivated metal to your wort possibly causing off flavors. I think that's a stretch, but maybe that was their intent.

The FB for the Polarware kettle is a close fit and you will understand the above after installing and removing it a few times. I wouldn't worry about that note at all and just take it easy when putting it in.

The FB is primarily intended for use in a mash tun. It also works well as a strainer in the boil kettle. It will hold back whole hops and some of the debris from pellet hops. A significant amount of the pellet hop debris will pass right through a false bottom, but it won't do any harm in your fermenter so you are good to go it seems.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply