The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > False Bottom BK Bottom Drain Keggle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
BoilermakerBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default False Bottom BK Bottom Drain Keggle?

I'm currently building an E-HERMS setup. I'm using 3 keggles but instead of using a diptube I'm using a bottom drain for two main reasons:

1) Ease of cleaning in place
2) Improve efficiency due to less wort being left in the keg

For the MT I plan on using the jaybird false bottom. Not sure what level filter stand I want to use below it but most likely two or three.

My biggest concern is the BK. What are you guys doing to minimize the cold break and any other trub from escaping the BK. I'm using a plate chiller to cool the wort and will be using a hop spider to contain the hop pellets

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerBrewery View Post
I'm currently building an E-HERMS setup. I'm using 3 keggles but instead of using a diptube I'm using a bottom drain for two main reasons:

1) Ease of cleaning in place
2) Improve efficiency due to less wort being left in the keg

For the MT I plan on using the jaybird false bottom. Not sure what level filter stand I want to use below it but most likely two or three.

My biggest concern is the BK. What are you guys doing to minimize the cold break and any other trub from escaping the BK. I'm using a plate chiller to cool the wort and will be using a hop spider to contain the hop pellets
In your MLT save your money and just use the level 1 stand. Its the best for the money for the MLT. Now for the boil kettle a 15" reverse hinge and a level 3 is the way to go. It will strip out most all the cold break and the pellet hops. Its nice because you then get the freedom to toss the pellet hops directly in the kettle.

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
wuttheheeck Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
mcl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am almost done with my E-HERMS (leak testing tonight). I have a hop spider but am looking at Jaybird's solutions.
@Jaybird
How tall would the filter stand have to be in a upside down keg to work with a 15" false bottom?

Old 09-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
Jaybird
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcl View Post
I am almost done with my E-HERMS (leak testing tonight). I have a hop spider but am looking at Jaybird's solutions.
@Jaybird
How tall would the filter stand have to be in a upside down keg to work with a 15" false bottom?
The level stands work in the inverted kegs too. So to answer your question 1 3/8"
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Quick Reply