Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > external heat exchanger ideas (herms)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 AM   #1
Alemaker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default external heat exchanger ideas (herms)

I'm trying to come back to homebrewing after a long layoff. I put together a crude HERMS system with a PID controlled external heat exchanger. The heat exchanger was ugly. I used an old fermentation bucket, a lot of copper tubing, a 240V element, and some JB Weld.

What I really dislike about it, other than it was only temporary, is the amount of water I had to use to cover the length of tubing I had to use to get temps up quickly. The performance was pretty good.

I'm thinking of ways to make this better. What I would like to do, is cram a small amount of 1/2" copper tubing into a small container and use the power of my 240V element to make up for the difference in size. Water at atmospheric pressure (and I really don't want to do this at any other pressure) only gets to 212º, so I was thinking of using something like propylene glycol in the heating vessel. It boils at 370º, so I'm thinking I could get workable temps in under 10 feet of copper tubing, and the whole apparatus would take up very little space.

Has anyone done anything like this, or have any input?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you have temps that high, wont the wort going through it become scorched?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
drez77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am nost sure if this is what you are thinking of doing but check out this post. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...1&postcount=49 that is what I made. It uses a 2 gallon cooler and a 1200w 120v heating element. I use this for my HERMS system and it works very well. I used about 18-20 feet of 1/2 copper in mine.

Mike

Old 08-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Alemaker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
If you have temps that high, wont the wort going through it become scorched?
Well, I don't know. The plan is to have the thermocouple reading temps on the wort outflow, so I don't think I will have any scorching problems if the max wort temp is 175. I don't think it would be nearly as risky as a RIMS system as far as scorching goes, since it's still indirect heating. It's kind of a HERMS and RIMS hybrid, I guess.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Alemaker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drez77 View Post
I am nost sure if this is what you are thinking of doing but check out this post. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...1&postcount=49 that is what I made. It uses a 2 gallon cooler and a 1200w 120v heating element. I use this for my HERMS system and it works very well. I used about 18-20 feet of 1/2 copper in mine.

Mike
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, but I'm thinking even smaller. Like even half that size.

Ideally, I'm thinking it would be in a length of wide metal pipe due to the high temps I'm thinking of. Like a fat RIMS pipe, if that helps.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 AM   #6
Alemaker
Recipes 

http://www.philrobins.org.uk/

This guy's heat exchanger is exactly what I want to do. He's using around one foot of 6" copper pipe for the container (converted from his metric) and 10mm copper tubing which is somewhere around 3/8".

I want to keep at 1/2" tubing for flow, but I am not very skilled at coiling copper tubing, especially 1/2". Anyone have some tips on creating a super tight coil with 1/2" tubing?

Also, where's a good place to find 6-8" wide pipe?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 910 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you're going to run the heat source really hot, you shouldn't need all that much wort surface area How about just doing a 2-pass with 1/2" copper inside a 2" shell?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #8
Alemaker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If you're going to run the heat source really hot, you shouldn't need all that much wort surface area How about just doing a 2-pass with 1/2" copper inside a 2" shell?

That's not a bad idea. I guess I could do something like that. I think 2" may be a bit tight with the element in there. Maybe 3" would do it. I guess instead of bending the tubing, you'd solder fittings to make the angles?

The length of tubing needed for my desired flow rate and temp performance is the big unknown. My goal is efficiency and speed since I will be heating my strike water for 10 gallon batches with this. My element is 5500 watts, so I think I have more than enough power.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #9
GuateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Might be a dumb question/comment but will the PID run the pump or the element? Seems if you are running the PID to the pump and the pump is at times shut off, then you would have the wort in the heat exchanger burning in the 300 degree water??

Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #10
Alemaker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateBrewer View Post
Might be a dumb question/comment but will the PID run the pump or the element? Seems if you are running the PID to the pump and the pump is at times shut off, then you would have the wort in the heat exchanger burning in the 300 degree water??
PID runs the element.

Quick Reply