Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Exploding Growlers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #1
ashbrookale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Exploding Growlers

I'm know the jury is still out for a few people regarding putting your brew in growler's, but here is my "experience" with it.

I actually heard one of them going off. At first I was thinking my neighbor was in my beer fridge again...When, when I open up the door and could smell the beer, I knew something was wrong.

Needless to say, I'm going to be picking up some kegs very soon..

Last edited by ashbrookale; 11-18-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 02:10 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

ANd this is why we say NOT to do it....

I vote for stickyhood for this thread...

Sorry about the beer loss though!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
Ben25
Recipes 

Did you open the caps on the growlers that were right next to that one?

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 11-18-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Gregredic
Recipes 

haha...I love your subject line....exploding growlers....sounds like a really bad #2.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

I dont think those are made to hold pressure. If it didn't originally hold a carbonated beverage, dont bottle beer in it.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #6
wreckinball9
Recipes 

i have just accumulated a bunch of growlers and wine jugs i was going to use so i am bummed to hear this. i have to think though, if growlers hold the pressure from carbonated beer you get off the tap at a micro brew pub, i should at least be able to force carbonate in a keg and use the bmbf for long term aging right? ( i have special growler caps from the lhbs that can hold a seal)

also, if natural carbed properly with the right amount of priming sugar, shouldnt growlers hold a normal amount of pressure?

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
BeezBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball9 View Post
i have just accumulated a bunch of growlers and wine jugs i was going to use so i am bummed to hear this. i have to think though, if growlers hold the pressure from carbonated beer you get off the tap at a micro brew pub, i should at least be able to force carbonate in a keg and use the bmbf for long term aging right? ( i have special growler caps from the lhbs that can hold a seal)

also, if natural carbed properly with the right amount of priming sugar, shouldnt growlers hold a normal amount of pressure?
So the growlers i have are extra thick brown glass. Those "growlers" in the OP's pics look like apple juice gallon bottles. They do not look that thick and are probably not proper for carbonation. However, if you bought a growler from a store or pub with beer, they should be fine to use.

God i miss Northwest brews.....

Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #8
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

growlers have to be able to hold some level of carbonation, though, right? I mean if you take a growler to a brew pub and have it filled, it will have to deal with a limited amount of pressure, right?

I know it's probably nothing like trying to carbonate in a growler, but where would one draw the line? Could you use a beer gun from a keg to growler if it wasn't going to stay in the growler for too long?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:55 AM   #9
BeezBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sure, you could take a growler and get it filled without a problem. Bottle conditioning a beer is a different matter. Active fermentation is occuring in this instance, i doubt much fermentation is happening when you get a growler filled.

God i miss Northwest brews.....

Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Growlers can hold normal preassure; they're not built for carbing- they're made for transport. Which is the other possible bad thing about them, is once you pop it open, you have to drink it or it will go flat fairly quick.

DON'T FERMENT IN A GROWLER!

Or ferment in a growler, and set up a camera so we can watch it in slow motion :-)

Donner, you can put beer from keg into growler- Great for traveling/sharing. Just remember it's best to drink it all once you open it. Cheers!

Quick Reply