Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Experimenting with a faster way to immersion cool

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Now that I re-read it I realize it was not clear. I used a wort chiller with the cooling water passing through a pre-chiller coil. The pre-chiller is in a bucket of water into which I placed a jug of frozen saltwater. The purpose is to lower the temperature of the jug below the usual freezing temperature of fresh water and so that it will hopefully melt slower.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
Now that I re-read it I realize it was not clear. I used a wort chiller with the cooling water passing through a pre-chiller coil. The pre-chiller is in a bucket of water into which I placed a jug of frozen saltwater. The purpose is to lower the temperature of the jug below the usual freezing temperature of fresh water and so that it will hopefully melt slower.
you would be much much much better served by using a small cheap pump to recirculate the ice water from the bucket through the immersion chiller in the brew pot and back to the bucket. In my experience this method is vastly superior to using a pre-chiller.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #13
maida7
Recipes 

oh and don't forget to stir the brew pot while you're chilling. The stiring makes a huge difference in how fast a immersion chiller works.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #14
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7

you would be much much much better served by using a small cheap pump to recirculate the ice water from the bucket through the immersion chiller in the brew pot and back to the bucket. In my experience this method is vastly superior to using a pre-chiller.
Yes, I could get better results by buying a pump and setting it up. I could also get great results with (fill in the blank with any number of devices I don't have). The post is an experiment to get more efficiency with what I already have and not a request for how to do it better with more expense and more technology. Thanks anyways.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #15
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluckk View Post
Yes, I could get better results by buying a pump and setting it up. I could also get great results with (fill in the blank with any number of devices I don't have). The post is an experiment to get more efficiency with what I already have and not a request for how to do it better with more expense and more technology. Thanks anyways.
I though you were seeking a "faster way to immersion cool". Do whatever you want.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #16
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I may try that later when I can afford it.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 AM   #17
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Are you doing full boil AG
If not why not try ice in the wort. If you are careful and freeze water in sealed containers to keep out germs it will cool your wort faster than any other method

Old 03-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Full boil AG--yes. Ice in wort, not if my life depended on it.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think that is the funniest thing. Full boil AG you don't need to add any water.
But I have added ice to extract kits and partial mashes SEVERAL times and yet i am still alive and have not had any infected batches. I think the ice on wort mith will die a slow death just like you MUST rack to secondary for clearing your beer.

sorry for the hijack.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 671 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 597

I don't understand what the salt is buying you here.

A jug of water placed in a freezer will freeze solid, and end up at the same temperature as a jug of salt water. The jug of salt water will freeze at a lower temperature, but once both have been in the freezer for a day or so, they'll both be frozen solid, and equally cold. Adding the salt doesn't allow the ice to get any colder - it simply means the phase conversion occurs at a lower temperature.

If you added salt to the WATER in the bucket into which you're dropping your pre-chiller coil and the frozen jug of water, then I can see how THAT might make a difference, since you could get that water down below 32° F and have it still be liquid (allowing a more efficient heat exchange with the coils than unsalted water at 32° F or ice that is frozen solid and which would be difficult to keep in full contact with the entire coil surface area), but I don't think the salt in the ice in the frozen jug is buying you anything at all.

Quick Reply