Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Experience with used Bourbon Barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Slatetank
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Experience with used Bourbon Barrels?

I am curious if anyone has fermented in used 55 gallon barrels and what the experience was like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

We didn't ferment in one, but we secondaried a Belgian Dark Strong in a used Jack Daniels barrel. After about 4 months in the barrel, we pulled off all the beer into kegs. I have actually yet to taste a carbed sample - trying to be super patient. I am also planning on bottling mine off - but anyway.

What we did was just get the barrel and put about 20 gallons of boiling water in it. Made sure it didn't leak, then rolled the barrel around. That was about all we did in terms of "sanitation." I mean, we put a 14% beer in there anyway - so I would assume infection risks are very minimal.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Slatetank
Recipes 

That is cool, ours was from Four Roses by way of Iron Hill lancaster. We plan to put Denny Conn's Vanilla Imperial Porter with madagascar vanilla bourbon beans in after secondary. I contacted Founders about it and they mentioned that they like to put the beer in when it as clear as possible.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
yourdudeness
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Never did it, but if you're ever in DC, you should try the Bourbon Stout at the Chophouse District Brewery. Simply amazing.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Several of the local clubs have done bourbon barrel aging. A bunch of people brew 5 gallons of a recipe, then it all goes in the barrel for 3-6 months. Haven't hear of using one for a fermenter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdudeness View Post
Never did it, but if you're ever in DC, you should try the Bourbon Stout at the Chophouse District Brewery. Simply amazing.
Or near Louisville, try the Bluegrass Brewing Co Bourbon Barrel Stout. Yummmmmm.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The WHALES have been using barrels for all kinds of projects over the years but it's always been for secondary aging. The only one that was sort of done as a primary was a Cherry lambic. We racked all the batches in after only 3 days fermenting with WLP001. It continued fermenting in the barrel and had a resurgence when adding the 90lbs of Cherry.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
DonD13
Recipes 

I've been wanting to try brewing a bourbon stout for awhile, but my only experience was a spoiled batch from I'm guessing not getting the oak chips we used perfectly sanitized. Anyone who's using wood, how are you sanitizing your chips/barrels? Does boiling oak chips make them lose flavor?

Also, has anyone seen/brewed with the Jack Daniels smoking chips (made from Jack Daniels barrels)? I've been using them on the grill and in the smoker for a couple of summers, and it occurs to me they would probably be a great substitue for bourbon barrel aging for smaller batches.

Later,
Don

Carboy 1: Dry Cider batch 2

Carboy 2: Imperial Wit

Bottled/Tap-a-draft: Dry Cider, Tripel, Fat Tire Clone, Belgian Raspberry Ale, Patersbier, Double IPA

Planning: First all grain brew, new brew room, long draw 4 tap keg system/keezer

Old 05-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #9
contagent93
Recipes 

I believe that you just soak the chips in bourbon or whatever liquor you intend to use if its at least 20% it should sanitize the chips.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
kmlavoy
Recipes 

If you read Wild Brews, there is a chapter on barrel aging, which is really good. I think he says the main thing to watch out for with bourbon barrels is the level of char within the barrel imparting a super heavy flavor on the beer. Bourbon barrels tend to be basically blackened on the insides, whereas wine barrels are toasted to a much lower extent.

lavoyboysbrewing.blogspot.com

Quick Reply