Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Ever have black mold in your keezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
TBLbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Ever have black mold in your keezer?

So I open my keezer today and find black mold everywhere. I mixed up a bleach solution, and hose it down with the bleach solution. Let it sit for 30 minutes, rinse, and then hit it with a slightly higher then normal solution of starsan. The mold looks like it is gone, but it was everywhere. Even on my gas hoses and disconnects.

So... how do I keep this from coming back? I should mention that I'm using cobra taps. If that has any bearing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1016 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Certainly the fact that you open the door more often than most brings in more moisture. Get some damprid.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

That's freaky. I've been worried about the same thing...might put some sort of dehumidifier inside the keezer if I have the time/space...not sure. I have noticed water on the floor of the keezer, which I assume is moisture condensing because I am missing a good seal somewhere.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You likely sprayed a bit of beer over the inside or your jeezer at some point (disconnecting lines, etc.). The cool walls will condense any moisture that you trap in there when opening/closing the lid, so you've got a pretty good environment for mold to grow (moisture and food). Also, the cobra taps are probably dripping beer after your pour a glass and put the tap back into the keezer.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #5
TBLbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Certainly the fact that you open the door more often than most brings in more moisture. Get some damprid.
Yep, got a can of damp rid in there. Does it matter that I keep it set to between 45 and 50 degrees?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
addis29
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

When I had cobra taps, Some of the time when I pulled a beer some of the beer would drip from the tap on the tops of my kegs. I had black mold on the top of my kegs. Make sure no beer drips out of kegs, the mold needs food to grow on, beer is food.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
TBLbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
You likely sprayed a bit of beer over the inside or your jeezer at some point (disconnecting lines, etc.). The cool walls will condense any moisture that you trap in there when opening/closing the lid, so you've got a pretty good environment for mold to grow (moisture and food). Also, the cobra taps are probably dripping beer after your pour a glass and put the tap back into the keezer.
I try to keep a clean paper towel under each tap, and change it frequently. I just need to build out my keezer, but that is probably months away.

Tags
cleaning, keezer, mold

Quick Reply