Equipment Storage... Tackle Box?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sick of having to look for all the small stuff when I'm brewing, so I though about using a tackle box to store all my stuff (rubber stoppers, airlocks, hydrometer, carboy caps, o-rings, small tools, etc. Does anyone do the same?

I'm leaning towards on of these two:

Plano 1372-30:

51AL1cofX5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lift-N-Lok:

41gDLwBCI2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd like to hear other ideas, if anyone has any...

I purchased a small clear Rubbermaid (knockoff) container and it is working for now. My parts include an extra regulator, hoses, clamps, air locks, etc. so I needed something a bit larger than a tackle box.

I got a husky brand toolbox at a big box for $12...it's huge and holds all my small keg parts as well as the big stuff like starsan and oxyclean. You'd be amazed at the time it saves you, I never knew I wandered around so much looking for stuff.

I got a husky brand toolbox at a big box for $12...it's huge and holds all my small keg parts as well as the big stuff like starsan and oxyclean. You'd be amazed at the time it saves you, I never knew I wandered around so much looking for stuff.

I have a 26 inch Husky toolbox that I got a Home Cheapo on clearance for $14
big enough for spoons and siphons under the lid straps, lots of room on the tray, and a bunch of room for hoses, and Emily capper underneath. More than enough room for my brewing needs.
4000996021_28a9b387b3.jpg

I picked up one of those cheap, plastic 3 drawer carts from Kmart. It even has wheels just in case I need to move it around.

I just got back from the local pet food store actually. I've been trying to find those air-tight bins for storing pet food to use for my grain. Can't find them anywhere local.

I'm sick of having to look for all the small stuff when I'm brewing, so I though about using a tackle box to store all my stuff (rubber stoppers, airlocks, hydrometer, carboy caps, o-rings, small tools, etc. Does anyone do the same?

I'm leaning towards on of these two:

Plano 1372-30:

51AL1cofX5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lift-N-Lok:

41gDLwBCI2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'd like to hear other ideas, if anyone has any...

I have the top one, but I don't use it for brewing equipment. I keep my paints and crafts supplies in it and it works great. I picked it up from Sports Authority for about $45.

I have a cheap generic plastic tool box that holds the gear I use or may need when actually brewing. The rest of the stuff for kegging and fermenting I store separately, some in containers and some simply in a tray on my work table. Having everything in one large tool box was too bulky for my preference.

I also forgot to tell everyone that I wear a backpack whenever I brew.:cross:

I also forgot to tell everyone that I wear a backpack whenever I brew.:cross:

And nothing else? I would worry about critical components possibly sustaining a burn injury. aaaarrrrrgggghhh! I've brewed naked a few times, but grew weary of the lady next door peeking at me all day long. It was fun at first, but then it became increasingly annoying.:D

I bought a long but shallow clear plastic storage bin (only 3-4" high) that I have used to put my racking canes, spoons, and other equipment that I use on almost every brewing operation day (brewing or bottling) but I really like the idea of a tackle box long enough for all that plus all the compartments I could use for rubber bungs, airlocks, etc.

For the approx 5 years I had the storage bin, I just kept such equipment in one of the paper grocery bags my brew kits came in. On a brew day I would usually sort through all the pieces and sequester all the pieces I was sure I would not need into another bag and keep it out of the way, and clean most of the rest.

Back