Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > equipment for maintaining temp. control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
yummybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default equipment for maintaining temp. control

i store my beer in the basement during fermention and bottle conditioning as that is were i have room available. temeratures in my basement are about 62-65 degrees during the colder monthes of the year. as i understand, 70 degrees is about where i need the temerature to be for the best results in fermentation/bottle conditioning.
i know there are heating wraps to put on fermenters to control proper temperatures for fermention. without having to build a chamber, i am wondering if there is a similar piece of equipment to use in a similar way for when it comes time for bottle conditioning? or would building a chamber be a better option? any suggestions would be appreciated; thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For fermenting most ales that is a perfect temperature range. The fermentation process will add some heat. Most ales I control between 65-68 degrees.

For conditioning without keeping them warmer, you pretty much would just have to let them condition longer. Carbonation will take a couple weeks or more at the lower end of the 60s.

The chamber would be your best bet. A big cardboard box would be enough to keep the heat in if you use a reptile warmer to add some heat. You don't need much to maintain a few degrees when you are in the 60s.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
yummybeer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

thanks for the advice!
how much does these reptile warmers go for? i may consider getting the reptile warmer to help the process along. as far as a chamber, i may not build one (at least not yet) because i already have a heating wrap for my fermenter.

i have also read in several places that putting the beer in the fridge for 48 hrs before drinking also helps in the carbonation. i didn't wait the 48 hrs because i got a little too impatient on waiting to drink my homebrew instead of drinking the coors that i have in the fridge. this may also be part of the solution as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #4
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

62-65 is perfect. I wouldn't do anything.

Quick Reply