The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Equipment exposed to Infected Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Dan2539
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Equipment exposed to Infected Beer

Hi guys, a few quick questions here. I recently had an infected batch of beer. I used a glass carboy for primary fermentation and then racked into a soda keg. Is there any special treatment I should be giving to equipment that has been exposed to a beer that has been infected (vinegar smell)? Will regular cleaning and sanitization of the equipment (PBW and Starsan) make everything fine?

A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Just clean it like a mofo and sanitize it like normal. As long as there are no hard to clean areas, like cracks, you should be fine.

Kegged empty

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Dan2539
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityOChampBrew
Just clean it like a mofo and sanitize it like normal. As long as there are no hard to clean areas, like cracks, you should be fine.
Thanks man, luckily I always clean like a mofo!
A word of warning though, unlike Star-San or Idophor, Dijon Mustard is NOT a no-rinse sanitizer. I learned this the hard way, though I have to say the resulting Mustard Porter was pretty snappy. The hops juxtaposed against the horseradish was very nice, though possibly a touch out of the style guidelines.

Quick Reply