Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Equipment breakage rant.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
oregonNate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Equipment breakage rant.

Ever have a batch where you break everything? Last night wasn't very fun but I did end up with 5 gallons of fermentable beer...so that is nice.

I broke the rigged up bulk head out of my cooler. The mini-keg bung warped the plastic on the cooler and now won't snap into place.

My siphon starter snapped in half when I was shaking iodophor solution off of it.

My input line to my chiller came off mid chill and sprayed water all over the garage. (Not to mention that immersion chillers suck in the summer, even with a pre-chiller.)

The 3oz of whole hops stopped up my siphon over and over....

I will not be brewing again until I impove my setup. I need to convert my chiller to a counterflow, get a real bulkhead and ball valve, put a tap in the bottom of my kettle and get a hop screen.

I always wondered why people fussed over their equipment so much, and now on my 8th batch I am realizing how nice it would be to impove it!

--Nate

Coming up: Foreign Stout
Primary:
#13 Smokedbowl Porter
Secondary:
#12 Doppelbock (lagering)
Kegged:
#11 Ratebeer's Brown Ale Revisited
#10 Back-forty Barleywine (Aging)
Bottled:
#9 Amarillo IPA
#8 Christmas Abbey
#7 Pumpkin Abbey
#6 Robust Porter
#5 Blackberry Wheat
#4 Double White

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Seems like every batch I brew, I run into a problem, get pissed, and upgrade. Then that upgrade requires more upgrades.....etc, etc.

For example, I started using the Hop Stopper, which is great, but it really requires a counterflow chiller. So I got a good CFC, but it really needs a pump to work right.

One of these days, I'll get it all straightened out.

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like a hard time ! If you name this brew, might I suggest Murpy's (law) Lager,stout,etc.? That'd be fitting.

Old 09-03-2005, 05:08 AM   #4
Tony

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The good thing about things happening like that is learning from it, upgrading, and finally getting in a rhythm.

Dead Soldier:Hop Rod Rye Stout
Dead Soldier: Imperial Hell Fire Ale

Old 09-03-2005, 06:24 AM   #5
Ed_Savage
Recipes 

Yo Brother Nate! You in Portland? I'd love to do an All-Grain together if you live close by. I'm on the north side, in St. Johns. Let me know.

I just had a vintage 1 gallon demi-john break on me when I was making a starter. I guess the glass was too cold when I poured the warm wort into it, and the neck cracked in half. At least it didn't shatter all over the place. Almost cut me though! That was LAME!!!

Reason: joe momma

Old 09-03-2005, 06:27 AM   #6
RogerN
Recipes 

Don't know if it'll make you feel better but I've had similar problems this week.

Monday: Beer in secondary stopped bubbling left 24hours just to make sure before taking hydrometer reading.
Tuesday: Got hydrometer out dropped and broke trial jar.
Wednesday: Wife picked up new trial jar from HBS whilst she was out.
Thursday: Try again. Shook water off Hydrometer after sterilising and rinsing snapped Hydrometer. (sound familiar) Phoned homebrew shop for new hydrometer.
Friday: New hydrometer arrived, carefully took reading below1:010, bottled beer without further incident.

Roger.

Czech proverb.

Old 09-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Last time I made a batch I broke my racking cane while trying to remove the tubing. This lead to a nasty cut on my thumb, hence the name Wounded Thumb Wheat.

When I was getting ready to bottle Wounded Thumb, I was cleaning out my bottling bucket and broke the spigot that opens and closes the valve. I now have to use pliers to twist it opened or close it up.

You should call your beer Catastrophe Ale. Sounds like your brewing experience was worse than mine.

Anyone else ever notice that trips to the HBS for supplies end up being about 40% ingredients and 60% equipment? I put down $70 yesterday buying a secondary carboy (plastic), fermentation lock, racking cane, and star sans. And when I got home, I realized I couldn't find my bottle clip from my last racking cane and I can't remember if I removed it or not prior to tossing the cane. At some point, I would like to get some good equipment do I don't have to re-buy plastic crap.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-05-2005, 05:24 PM   #8
tnlandsailor

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonNate
...The 3oz of whole hops stopped up my siphon over and over....

I will not be brewing again until I impove my setup. I need to convert my chiller to a counterflow, get a real bulkhead and ball valve, put a tap in the bottom of my kettle and get a hop screen...
You can homemake your own couterflow chiller, there are plans all over the web on this. I can recommend the Weld-B-Gone bulkhead fitting, about $20 delivered. You can get one with a ball valve on it as well, or pick up a ball valve at Home Depot. As for the hop screen, click the link below:

www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

If you are interested in a stainless steel valve, you can get these at the link above as well.

Prosit!

Prosit!

Hands-On Brewing

Dennis Collins
Knoxville, TN
Innovative Homebrew Solutions
Home of the Hop Stopper!
www.ihomebrewsolutions.com

Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #9
oregonNate
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Savage
Yo Brother Nate! You in Portland? I'd love to do an All-Grain together if you live close by. I'm on the north side, in St. Johns. Let me know.

I just had a vintage 1 gallon demi-john break on me when I was making a starter. I guess the glass was too cold when I poured the warm wort into it, and the neck cracked in half. At least it didn't shatter all over the place. Almost cut me though! That was LAME!!!
Hey, my name is a bit of a joke as I'm from Oregon, WI. I would love to move to Portland though, loved it out there last time I visited.

--Nate

Primary:
#13 Smokedbowl Porter
Secondary:
Kegged:
Bottled:
#9 Amarillo IPA
#8 Christmas Abbey
#7 Pumpkin Abbey
#6 Robust Porter
#5 Blackberry Wheat
#4 Double White

Old 09-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #10
oregonNate
Recipes 

Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions. I'll definitly have some fun constructing some new equipment this fall.

I think broken glass carboy's has to be the worst homebrewing accident...hope and pray that never happens to me. Looking back, my little malfunctions were just annoyances. But after midnight and a long brew day, things always seem a bit worse than they really are.

--Nate

Primary:
#13 Smokedbowl Porter
Secondary:
Kegged:
Bottled:
#9 Amarillo IPA
#8 Christmas Abbey