Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > End of the year last chance sale of Corny's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default End of the year last chance sale of Corny's

The CHI Company has a one more sale on corny's that will end in two days.
A 4 pack in a single box for $76, $19 each before shipping, tax if your in California. They sell in 1, 2, 4, 8, 12, 20 packs and a pallet full. The 4 packs are cheaper than the other denominations offered.
Matt wants them gone as the company manufactures stainless barrels for
the wineries. Their corny inventory is about all gone. These corny's come cleaned and under low pressure, clean with few dings if any and not bashed up leftovers. The rubber ends are like new not coming apart plus they sell complete "O" ring kits for $8 more.
Call Matt at CHI Company in northern Calif. (530) 622-8265 before he splits for the new years. Just a heads up if your still looking for extra corny's nows the last chance why pay your LHBS as they buy in bulk from CHI then jack up the prices. Had to pass this along again, i'm not related to CHI just a happy owner of 20 clean clean corny's from CHI.
Have a safe New Years with suds everyone.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
-Dan-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Isn't that rumor going around every so often? I kinda doubt the overall cornie supply is running out anytime soon.

Kulturgüter Hopfen und Malz, Gott erhalt's!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
keithd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, they aren't making any more on a *large* scale now that Pepsi US no longer uses them, so there's the supply/demand thing.

Plus the prices at LHBSs and B3 are definitely higher than I remember a year ago.

But I really hope I'm just paranoid and you're right, Dan.
-keith

Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #4
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

CHI (so I've been told) bout all the corporate cornies- that said, most Pepsi distributors are franchises that are privately owned, hence forth have their own cornies. I don't see a shortage from CHI selling out (IE adventures in Home Brewing - $17.99).

The price of stainless is up, and there is a limited supply of cornies, so there probably will be a slow increase in cost...

Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

The worldwide economic slowdown has hit metals pretty hard.

IIRC, the Chinese were buying up most of the scrap stainless and they were hit really hard.

Actually, I do need some more kegs, but just don't have the money right now.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4616 Times on 4305 Posts
Likes Given: 56

TBH, I'll be glad to see them go.

Once cornies are gone then it will be easier to make the switch to Sicth Barrel Sanke kegs. Right now, for me, I either have to buy a full keg and not return it (I haven't done that) or pay an outrageous price for a recon keg from places like Sabco.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
keithd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sankey kegs will *NEVER* be as cheap or plentiful as the Corny kegs.

Beer vs soda sales - beer doesn't even come close, so there were MANY more cornys made during their heyday.

Construction costs - the thin-wall Cornys topped with rubberized caps are definitely cheaper to make than the thick-walled all-stainless Sankey kegs.

I like Sankeys - my HLT and BK are converted kegs, and there isn't a commercial pot out there that has thicker stainless walls - definitely not for the money! And when I get back to the States, I will pick up a few for fermentation, possibly even for serving.

But you will never see a 4-pack of sixth-barrel Sankeys for under $80 unless they're unusably damaged.

Long live the Corny, I say!
-keith

Old 12-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
MrShake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Also bear in mind that some of the smaller soda companies are still using cornys, specifically in this area, RC cola

MrShake - Top Hat Brewery

Project Links: Electric HERMS | Wet Bar

Primary - Air
On Commercial Tap - Sam Adam's Octoberfest
On Tap 2 - Air
On Tap 3 - Air
On Tap 4 - Easy English Mild
On Tap 5 - Air

Old 12-31-2008, 02:50 AM   #9
contagent93
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd View Post
Sankey kegs will *NEVER* be as cheap or plentiful as the Corny kegs.

Beer vs soda sales - beer doesn't even come close, so there were MANY more cornys made during their heyday.

Construction costs - the thin-wall Cornys topped with rubberized caps are definitely cheaper to make than the thick-walled all-stainless Sankey kegs.

I like Sankeys - my HLT and BK are converted kegs, and there isn't a commercial pot out there that has thicker stainless walls - definitely not for the money! And when I get back to the States, I will pick up a few for fermentation, possibly even for serving.

But you will never see a 4-pack of sixth-barrel Sankeys for under $80 unless they're unusably damaged.

Long live the Corny, I say!
-keith
umm beer is the number one selling beverage in the world including the US

Old 12-31-2008, 04:48 AM   #10
BrewBeemer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

China I know of and I believe Taiwan will be making knock-off corny's to sell back to the states. I posted before that Oz and Turkey purchased 5,000 corny's not that long ago. Other Asian countries use them for food and water storage and glad to have them. I got a southern California winery shipping order tag for 20 corny's so they ship wine in bulk saving on bottle costs to their larger restaurant customers.
As I posted before LHBS are purchasing them in volume as supplies run out so that they can ask and get their high prices making a quick easy profit. This might mean something about the future supply and demand of corny's. They must also know more what's going on with the future of corny's than the above replies about there will be plenty around. Rather safe than sorry I got mine.

I also agree on thicker kegs vs pots as posted above their prices also have gone up. Even on ebay the price is going up for a 15.5 plus shipping makes them rather expensive. Many LHBS places in my area do not have 15.5 kegs available at all, six for six I called last month. Oh very few had used corny's with high asking prices, they had new corny's for $129 before tax and used for $48 if available such a deal.
I'm was just trying to help others as I have been talking with Matt for over 7 months now as they just finished up purchasing and taking apart the last Pespi corny assembly line plant. Now syurp in a bag like wine in a box one way toss 'em. Money saved on one item or many items extends my buying power for other needed brewing items. I rather buy when cheap and available. After selling my first and second brew system I was not going to be caught without future kegs or corny's. This time with the crazy market I refuse to be ripped off later with new higher asking prices. I've seen a lot of banged up corny's I wouldn't have as a gift and they look you in the eye with a straight face with their high asking prices. Every one from CHI i'm proud to own they're that clean and dent free.

Sabco's one corny used with new seals $40, 4 pack $149 shipping not included. Sabco has a 15.5 keg with just a 12" lid cut for $99.99 before shipping.
Keg connection used corny $29 each, used corny with rubber ends loose $24 each again shipping not included.
My shipping was app $15 for a 4 pack of corny's of $76. I belive I did well collecting 20 on sale. More money saved for other brewing equipment. I do not have a disposable income like many being disabled besides it's against my way of thinking and building.

A coupe freebie return favor kegs should be coming my way soon I was told, yeah 9 months and waiting.
Weld up some piece of business equipment in a hurry free, so soon they forget the favor.

In storage now;
15.5 gallon, 10 in storage.
7.75 gallon, 3 in storage.
Pepsi ball locks CHI on sale price 20 of 'em.

One complete Coke pin lock corny that is slightly shorter and fatter hence does not fit in my single Pepsi corny refrigerator. This I would like to swap for a Pepsi corny that fits this little Pepsi corny refrigerator.

One odd Firestone 15.5 with rectangle blocks on the ends that should be swaped for a Anheuser Bush (like kind in quality I sent photos) but still waiting for the other party to return email for a straight shipping cost swap address only, been a month no reply and he wanted it within a month or two. Calif. to Mn. (Minnesota)? Was told should be upper $20's to ship UPS ground by this other HBT member. Scale said 30# 6 oz.
Done ranting have a safe drink at home New Years, no shotgun firing in the air, no can do in the city here. Cheers or rather SUDS everyone.

Bier Jagdwaffe... Bier 30 zeit.....~~=o&o>..........

Last edited by BrewBeemer; 12-31-2008 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply