Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Electric Turkey Fryer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 AM   #1
Cregar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Electric Turkey Fryer

Was wondering if anyone has used the MASTERBUILT Stainless Steel 28 Quart Digital Turkey Fryer for doing full boils.

Just found out my apartment complex won't even let me store a propane tank on my balcony because of some city fire code. So there goes the idea about buying a turkey fryer and brewing beer out on the sidewalk

So I need to find a way to do it with electricity, I found the heat stick but I'm nervous about building and using one of those.

Did a search but nothing come up... if this has been already taled about could someone link to the post.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cregar
Was wondering fi anyone has used the MASTERBUILT Stainless Steel 28 Quart Digital Turkey Fryer for doing full boils.

Just found out my apartment complex won't even let me store a propane tank on my balcony because of some city fire code. So there goes the idea about buying a turkey fryer and brewing beer out on the sidewalk

So I need to find a way to do it with electricity, I found the heat stick but I'm nervous about building and using one of those.

Did a search but nothing come up... if this has been already taled about could someone link to the post.

Thanks
I suspect it would work, but it's a little small and boil overs might cause issues if it hits the plug... so I'd be weary.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about boil overs but if your putting a 14 lb turkey in a 28 qt pot full of oil, it bubbles alot too.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
wilserbrewer
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Electric turkey friers are around 1600-1800 watts. Not enough for a rolling boil uncovered. I supplement w/ a 2000 watt heatstick. YMMV

Heatsticks work well...always submerged and on a GFI!!

The beauty of the electric turkey frier is that I feel comfortable letting 5-6 gal of water heat up over the course of an hour or two w/ minimal supervision.

Something about the propane cooker w/ the open flame... I watch like a hawk.

IMO the electric turkey friers are an inadequate boil pot for a full 5-6 gal. unless you supplement. I actually supplemented a few batches w/ an additional small imersion heater used for a cup of coffee (3-400watts) it worked but was a struggle.

Additionally, some feel that if the pot can heat oil to 350, 212 to boil water should be easy. Not true...the steam created from boiling carries the heat away rapidly.

These units make nice electric HLT's and decent boil pots if you can add additional wattage w/ a heatstick. Be advised you will have to pull from two 120V circuits both GFI to really boil on any sort of schedule or intensity.

Mike

Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts

I've lived in several apartments with a similar fire code. Did that stop me from grilling? Nope. Several of my neighbors also grilled, and no one said a word.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 AM   #6
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve
I've lived in several apartments with a similar fire code. Did that stop me from grilling? Nope. Several of my neighbors also grilled, and no one said a word.
I would chance it if I wasn't afraid of getting evicted. I just moved to this apartment complex to get my daughter into a better school district for high school and that was also close to work. If I got evicted I can't afford the other apartments complexes in this district... way out of my price range. So I am trying to figure out a alternative full boils.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:03 AM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 50 Posts

Ah. That's a pretty good reason! Probably not worth the risk. Can't you just stick the propane tank in a closet? That'd solve your problem.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:06 AM   #8
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use an electric 40L (~42qts) urn - one that's designed to be used in big kitchens.

It was 250 New Zealand dollars, I'd expect you'd find something similar in the states for around 100 - 150 USD. It came standard with a 2000w element, I also added another 2400w element and a manifold as there was a lot of deadpsace. 2000w keeps the boil going nicely but takes around 40 - 60 mins to come to a good boil, but 4400w comes up quickly but boils too hard, so I drop down to the single 2000w for a nice rolling boil.

You can see pictures here.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 AM   #9
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denimglen
I use an electric 40L (~42qts) urn - one that's designed to be used in big kitchens.

It was 250 New Zealand dollars, I'd expect you'd find something similar in the states for around 100 - 150 USD. It came standard with a 2000w element, I also added another 2400w element and a manifold as there was a lot of deadpsace. 2000w keeps the boil going nicely but takes around 40 - 60 mins to come to a good boil, but 4400w comes up quickly but boils too hard, so I drop down to the single 2000w for a nice rolling boil.

You can see pictures here.
Now thats what I'm looking for!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I have an electric turkey fryer, I think Masterbuilt (bought at the Depot for like $70). POS. OK if you only want to do a partial boil. I'll use it to heat sparge water, but it can't maintain a real boil on 5 gallons of wort. Remember, it's harder to heat water than oil for some technical reason I don't remember...

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply