Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Electric or Propane Burner??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
KentuckyBrewman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Electric or Propane Burner??

So I've been brewing in a tiny kitchen for a little over a year, and after rearranging some stuff in the basement I now have a much larger area to work with. Sink and drain already installed. But now comes the question of how to boil the water to make the wart. This room is in the basement has a small window that opens slightly.

So the question is this: What type of burner do I need? Electric? Propane? Does anyone else have recommendations or things that have worked well for you? Keep in mind, that I am only doing small batches at this point (in the end I have 5 gallons of brew).

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Sounds like an electric brewery would suit you best. No worry about carbon monoxide accumulation, etc, however there is a significant amount of water vapor released in the boil; so, where would that go?

Old 02-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would use an electric burner indoors.

Propane is safe to use inside only if you get complete combustion. It will need quite a lot of oxygen to burn completely (blue flame, not yellow flame). I'm not sure if you'll have adequate ventilation. If combustion is incomplete, it'll make soot and carbon monoxide. You really don't want CO poisoning.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 02-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
KentuckyBrewman
Recipes 

I can do some work on that window to make great ventilation in that room. Are there any suggestions on electric burners? Where to get them?

Thanks for the replies!!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
redman67
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I went electric for indoor brewing
I removed one of the panes in my cellar window and replaced it with a piece of plexiglass that I installed a dryer vent into
No moisture problems at all
went with ULWD 5500 watt heater elements off the interweb

Because God hates it when you drink bad beer

Old 02-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 226

You are in Kentucky, not the arctic. Get a propane burner and do your boil outdoors. Never use a propane burner indoors and certainly not in a basement. Propane is heavier than air and any leakage will build you a basement full of propane gas, just sitting there looking for a source of ignition to blow your home apart.

Quick Reply