Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Electrian dad says GCFI is pointless?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 03:33 AM   #131
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

nah, if you grab 110 and you get the bejebus zapped out of you yet you aren't holding the neutral or ground. Current has found an alternate path to ground some how, hence the name ground fault. In the same scenario and you are holding onto both legs, some current is still going to leak to ground because you are not perfectly insulated. That small amount of leakage is enough to trip it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #132
Want2Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Across the hot and neutral on a GFCI you will be protected. Across two hots of a 2-pole GFCI (240V) and yourself ungrounded, I am not sure. Anyone know?
If you are not grounded and you get between the hot and neutral or the 2 hots in a GFCI protected system you have become the load and all the GFCI device knows is that there is a load connected to it and that there is no leakage to ground there for it will not trip. It Dose not know if it is a toaster or a person on the end of those wires and will not trip until it senses leakage to ground.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:44 AM   #133
Want2Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
nah, if you grab 110 and you get the bejebus zapped out of you yet you aren't holding the neutral or ground. Current has found an alternate path to ground some how, hence the name ground fault. In the same scenario and you are holding onto both legs, some current is still going to leak to ground because you are not perfectly insulated. That small amount of leakage is enough to trip it.
If Im not perfectly insulated from ground then Red Wing owes me a new pair or boot because these aren't doing there job ......lol

Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #134
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 759 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
I think you are correct. With a 1-pole device a difference in current between hot and neutral will trip the device and I like your explanation. But, theoretically if one were completely ungrounded you would have no fear of touching one leg, and if you touched 2 legs of a gfi device you would become the circuit and there should be no way for the device to sense a fault.

And this:

If you are not grounded and you get between the hot and neutral or the 2 hots in a GFCI protected system you have become the load and all the GFCI device knows is that there is a load connected to it and that there is no leakage to ground there for it will not trip. It Dose not know if it is a toaster or a person on the end of those wires and will not trip until it senses leakage to ground.

Last edited by lschiavo; 02-12-2010 at 04:08 AM.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:16 AM   #135
Want2Brew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

OK so I see that we agree to disagree to agree..... wait a minute, Im confused

Old 02-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #136
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Brew View Post

Um, when are you ungrounded? Are you able to levitate yourself? You are ALWAYS grounded, with the only possible exception being if you are standing on a really good insulating mat, one so expensive that no regular Joe will have it.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #137
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
Um, when are you ungrounded? Are you able to levitate yourself? You are ALWAYS grounded, with the only possible exception being if you are standing on a really good insulating mat, one so expensive that no regular Joe will have it.

My work boots are good to 18kV when new. It's the standard to achieve the Omega rating for electrical resistance.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #138
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 759 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Brew View Post
OK so I see that we agree to disagree to agree..... wait a minute, Im confused
No, I think our statements were in agreement. And yes this is getting a little confusing now.

Being ungrounded, you can touch one leg of a circuit and not be electrocuted. Linemen do it all the time. So do birds sitting on a highline.

The two pole GFI example is just theoretical as it is quite unlikely you would ever be ungrounded in a brewing situation.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #139
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A misconception about misconceptions...

120VAC is the rms value of voltage. If you hook it to a resistive load, your total power dissipated would be equal to a 120VDC source. 120VAC is a sinusoidal waveform with limits of ±≈170V (120 √2) relative to ground. 240 uses 2 legs of 120 that are opposite each other to get your 240VAC rms voltage...

Honestly you're probably better off just forgetting all that unless its actually important to you... 240 has 2 hot legs and a ground, 120 has a hot, ground and neutral... thats good enough for most applications.

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #140
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
My work boots are good to 18kV when new. It's the standard to achieve the Omega rating for electrical resistance.

Yeah, but is a regular Joe Homebrewer on this site going to own a pair of those? I doubt it. That was kinda my point. and even when you wear those, you need to be suited up on the rest of your body and still be sooooo careful not to touch anything with any other part of your body while you are working....

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Quick Reply