Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Electrian dad says GCFI is pointless?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #91
abracadabra
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

edit see below

Last edited by abracadabra; 02-10-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #92
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Since the voltage is rated at RMS saying the current is continuous peak at I RMS is perfectly acceptable...
RMS or Root Mean Square is the average electrical power. Current rises and falls as the voltage rises and falls.

It may be considered accetable but it's factually incorrect.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #93
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Maybe I am just a spendthrift, but to me, my little white hiney is worth the $20 I spent on a 20A GFCI.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #94
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
Speaking of misconceptions "30+ amps of continuous peak current"

240v AC (Alternating Current ) goes from 0v to 120v back to 0v then to 120v in the opposite direction or polarity for a total swing of 240v. The current goes up and down with the voltage and the electrons changes the direction in which they flow as the voltage changes polarity.

DC (Direct Current) can offer a continuous peak current.

Or you'd need something like 3 phase AC to be close to a continuous peak current condition.

Residential electricity is single phase AC.
Been a while, but since it is RMS isn't PEAK for 120 around 177 or so? Long time since I did the calculations....

Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #95
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhermetz View Post
I could do that.... Think I would be able to roll out the copper tube without weakening or causes kinks? I assume you have to do that to make the CFC
I used my old IC. I uncoiled it, fed it through the hose, the recoiled it for my CFC. So far so good.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #96
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3190 Times on 1993 Posts
Likes Given: 2722

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra View Post
RMS or Root Mean Square is the average electrical power. Current rises and falls as the voltage rises and falls.

It may be considered acceptable but it's factually incorrect.
  • Wrong, sorry. RMS values are not the same as "average" values for sine waves. The RMS value is the DC equivalent, so it is the perfect way to know the heating potential or work potential of AC power.
  • RMS is not only an acceptable way of describing AC electricity, it is the standard way in which most AC components are rated.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #97
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square#Relationship_to_the_arithmetic_me an_and_the_standard_deviation

below is a quote from the web page listed at the top of this post.

"So, the RMS value, IRMS, of the function I(t) is the constant signal that yields the same average power dissipation". Where (t) equals time.

Perhaps in trying to explain this in laymans terms I over simplified. But if you'll read the web page at the top of this post you'll see RMS is indeed average power.

And yes RMS is an expression of what average continuous power would be if it was actually continuous but since it is not it is merely expressed in a calculation as if it was continuous.

Last edited by abracadabra; 02-11-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #98
sparkyaber
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknapp View Post
Interesting situation happened at work, that sorta applies to the Murphy's Law/GFCI thing..

On a job site, a extension cord (we call em stingers) was plugged into a 20amp GFCI outlet on a 20A circuit. A tech mistakely cut the plugged-in extension cord with his linemans pliers. POP! After making sure he was okay, we went to reset the GFCI - but it wasn't tripped. Went to the panel & the 20a breaker was what tripped.

Hmm. The GFCI was wired correctly: wires to panel feed the Line side. GFCI tests fine.

Our theory: as his pliers cut through the 12/3 cord, his cutter first severed the hot & ground first, cutting the neutal after the panel breaker popped. That's our theory, but in any case the GFCI, which is supposed to be sensitive, didn't do anything.

Anyway, moral of the story: Things sometimes don't go the way we want or expect. GFCI's are great things, even if they don't ALWAYS provide protection. Oh, and Murphy's Law is always in effect.
Nobody explained this to you so: GFCI detects a leak of current- They do not protect against short circuits. That is the breakers job. This played out exactly as was supposed to. Your theory maybe correct as the gfci monitors the current between the hot and neutral.

Carboy#1 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#2 Angry Gnome RIS 2012
Carboy#3 Black IPA
Carboy#4 Black IPA
Carboys#5-14 m-t
3 Gallon m-t
Keg#1 Hops in Session
Keg#2 Yoopper's IPA
Kegs #3-12 m-t
Bottled: Holiday Ale, RIS 2011, Chocolate Espresso Porter, Vanilla Porter, Oktoberfest, Mai Bock, Old Vine Zin, Pinot Noir, Chocolate Raspberry Port,

Old 02-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #99
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyaber View Post
Nobody explained this to you so: GFCI detects a leak of current- They do not protect against short circuits. That is the breakers job. This played out exactly as was supposed to. Your theory maybe correct as the gfci monitors the current between the hot and neutral.
Huh?

If when he had cut the cord and he bridged 110 and neutral ONLY and was 100% insulated the gfci would not have popped but the breaker would have.

Had he made contact with ground and 110 first or if he himself started to conduct current to ground, the gfci would have popped.

When you press the test button on a gfci, it leaks current from the line to ground.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #100
kryolla
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't read through all this but my take on it is that GFCI does work. I had a saltwater reef tank plugged into an external GFCI/extenstion cord. I was hooking up my new lights and the whole thing fell into the tank, my first reaction was to grab it then I realize what I was doing and pulled my hand out. The GFCI popped and I didn't feel a thing so I am a firm believer in GFCI. I did have to buy a new ballast.

Quick Reply